Important Information for Students Seeking Field Placement, Observation and Practicum Hours
- Clinical observations, practicums and/or field placements are NON-INSTRUCTIONAL placements. Students particpating in these types of clinical placements are primarily observing and should have limited instructional interactions with students.
- Students participating in clinical observations, practicums and/or field placements are REQUIRED to complete on online registration form linked here: ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM
- Students should NOT contact prinicpals, schools or teachers directly about securing a clinical placement of any kind. The university placement coordinator should facilitate the placement process for ALL students seeking a clinical placement. This includes students seeking observation hours and field placements.
- Students participating in field placements and observation hours are not required to complete a drug screening, however these students ARE required to complete a background check conducted by Knox County Schools.
- Background check paperwork has been provided to university placement coordinators and will be distributed to observation, field placement and practicum students.
- University placement coordinators will submit completed background check paperwork to KCS no more than 1 month prior to the onset of each student's clinical placement.
- Students cannot report to thier placement site until their background check paperwrok has been submitted and verified.
- OT and PT Students should complete the Student Teaching and Internship Registration Form ONLY.
Field Placement, Observation and Practium Placement Registration Process
Prior to the onset of any field placement, observation or practium placement with our district, all students are required to complete the following steps:
Step 1: Online Registration Form
- All clinical placement students must complete the KCS Online Registration Form located ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM.
- The online form requires general student information, school placement information and the KCS Student Teaching Acknowledgements.
- Please refrain from completing the online registration form, until your clinical placement and cooperating teacher have been confirmed and verified by your university placement coordinator (you will be asked to include this information on your online registration form)
Students requiring multiple placement sites, will need to register for placement at each site by completing the above referenced form for each site where a placement has been confirmed and secured. Placement at multiple sites cannot be verified by submitting only one online registration form, at this time.
Step 2: Background Check
- ALL students particpating in clinical placements are required to complete a background check condcuted by Knox County Schools.
- Background check paperwork has been provided to your university placement coordinator and will be provided to you.
- University placement coordinators will submit completed background check paperwork to KCS no more than 1 month prior to the onset of your clinical placement.
- You cannot report to your placement site until the background check paperwrok has been submitted and verified.
Step 3: Verification
- Once we have received the results of your background check, we will verify your placement request with the school and administrator indicated on your registration form. In the event that your request form is incomplete or your background or drug screenings come back in error, you or your university placement coordintaor will be notified via email.