Robert M. Thomas Welcome Center
As the Offices of the English Language Learners Department since November 2017, the Robert M. Thomas Welcome Center is not a standalone department, but serves as the location in which non/limited English-speaking parents/guardians may come for supplemental language support with completing the enrollment packet into the district and the school(s) in which their student(s) is/are zoned.
The staff of the Robert M. Thomas Welcome Center comprise the non-academic side of the English Language Learners Department and whose mission is to provide supplemental language support to non/limited English-speaking families and bridge the communication gap between our district's families, who require or request, and schools/district.
- Assist non/limited English-speaking families with the enrollment process of students new to Knox County Schools from across the state, across the country, across the world
- Assist non/limited English-speaking families with students currently enrolled in Knox County Schools with the enrollment process if or when a family moves into a new school zone within the Knox County Schools District
- Orientation to Knox County Schools for students and parents - district policies and procedures
- Provide language support to bridge the communication gap between non/limited English-speaking families and schools/district
- Referrals to support services include: Adult ESL, Citizenship Classes, Health Clinics and more
The languages represented by our exceptional team of Family Community Liaisons are listed below. Requests for support regarding all other languages as well as S-Team, IEP, 504 and/or disciplinary meetings will need to be directed to Student Support Services utilizing the CI-224 Form:
- Mayan (Akateco and Q'anjob'al)
- Persian (Dari/Farsi)
Please note that the Request for Family Community Liaison Online Form is routed directly to the assigned Family Community Liaison and the CI-224 is to be submitted to Student Support Services and they will facilitate the request.
Staff Forms***Please note that requests routed via the CI-224 online form are directed to and fulfilled by Student Support Services***
Welcome Center Staff
Family Community Liaisons