Sarah Simpson Professional Development Technology Center
Sarah Simpson Professional Development/Technology Center801 Tipton Ave • Knoxville, Tennessee 37920(865) 579-8264
From Downtown via Henley Street:
- From Henley Street Bridge, travel south on Chapman Highway.
- Turn left onto Woodlawn Pike (traffic light at BP Station).
- Turn at the first left onto Ellis Street.
- Ellis Street becomes Tipton Avenue as it turns right.
- The SSPDTC is on the left just past Dogwood Elementary School.
From the New South Knoxville Connector:
- Follow the James White Parkway signs to South Knoxville, crossing the river on the South Knoxville Blvd.
- Travel until you reach the end of the boulevard where you will be forced to exit right onto Davenport. Continue on Davenport for a brief distance, moving to the right lane and continuing to the traffic light.
- (Note that the following three right turns are in quick succession)
- At the light turn right onto Sevierville Pike, travel a short distance to the first traffic light.
- At the first traffic light, turn right onto Woodlawn a very short distance.
- Immediately turn right again onto Moody Avenue.
- Turn left at the second road on the left, Tipton Avenue.
- SSPDTC is on the right just before Dogwood Elementary School.
Main Office Staff
Laura LyonsOffice Manager of Sarah Simpson Building801 Tipton AvenueKnoxville, TN 37920(865) 579-8264 ext. 50201 or Option 0
Director of Teaching & Learning Supports801 Tipton AvenueKnoxville, TN 37920(865) 579-8264 ext. 50204
Who and What at SSPDTC
About Sarah Simpson Professional Development and Technology Center (SSPDTC)
At the Sarah Simpson Professional Development and Technology Center (SSPDTC), Knox County Schools operates a training center for teachers, district administrators, supervisors, and support staff to learn the necessary skills to promote and support technology growth in individual schools across the county. The training center includes fully equipped computer labs as well as several meeting areas. For a list of room descriptions please click here.
Professional Learning: Frontline (Previous known as My Learning Plan or MLP)
Frontline is the main vehicle through which Knox County Schools Certified and Classified employees can manage their professional development. Frontline can be utilized for school-based as well as system-wide activities. If you want to lead an in-service session, you will be able to go through your school administrator, who will both approve and post the session to Frontline. Frontline is now available to Certified and Classified employees.Frontline allows you to view and complete the following:
- Register for workshops, courses, and conferences that have been entered into the KCS catalog and Calendar, many are virtual.
- Request Out-of-District credit for sessions.
- Request Parent-Teacher-Contact Hours.
- View and print a copy of your Transcript for a listing of completed professional learning activities.
- View registered and proposed activities.
Educational Technology Department
The office of Theresa Nixon is located on the first floor of the SSPDTC in the main office. Her phone number is (865) 579-8264 extension 50204. The Educational Department offices are located upstairs in room 204 and 208. For more information please visit their department on the KCS website.
Office of RTI Coaches
The office of RTI Coaches is located on the first floor of the SSPDTC in room 103. The phone number for that office is (865) 579-8264 extension 50205.
Office of Behavioral Liaisons
The office of Behavioral Liaisons is located on the first floor of the SSPDTC in room 105. The phone number for that office is (865) 579-8264 extension 50206 or 50207.
Knox County Museum of Education
The Knox County Museum of Education is located in room 100 on the first floor of the SSPDTC. The museum contains collections of materials from the Knoxville City Schools which merged with the Knox County Schools in 1987 as well as artifacts from Knox County Schools. Records dating back as far as 1820 are available for viewing at the museum. The Museum is open on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.