Kindergarten Enrollment for the 2021-2022 School Year
Kindergarten Round-Up will be held Tuesday April 13th at all Knox County Elementary Schools. Please check with your zoned school for more information.
In order to enroll a student, you will need to provide the documentation listed below along with a completed Student Enrollment Form.
DOCUMENTATION NEEDED FOR ENROLLMENT
When enrolling a student, parents or guardians should present the following information or documentation to the enrolling school:
1.Proof of Birth – Proof of birth may take many forms. Example include but are not limited to the following:
- Birth Certificate – issued by any government
- Passport issued by any nation (translated)
- Immigration documentation
- Decree of adoption or other records issued by a court
The form proof of birth takes is an areas of parental discretion, and school will accept appropriate documentation as offered. No one form of documentation is required or preferred over another.
2. Immunization Records - these must be on a Tennessee Form (contact Knox County Health Department if records are from another state)
3. Recent Physical Examination
4. Proof of Residence - the Knox County Schools requires one of the following: a) Utility Bill, b) Lease agreement. c) in cases where the utilities and/or lease agreement is in the name of a person other than the parent/guardian, the person listed must provide the utility bill and/or lease agreement and also must provide a notarized letter stating that the parent/guardian and children are living at that address.
5. Proof of Custody (if applicable)
6. Name and Address of the child's previous school
If you have further questions please contact the Enrollment Department.
Difference in "TRANSFER" & "ENROLLMENT"
STUDENT TRANSFERAn approved student transfer is needed to attend any school other than the school for which the student is zoned. School zones can be found at kgis.org.
ENROLLMENTStudents new to Knox County Schools may seek "ENROLLMENT" at their zoned school. School zones can be found at kgis.org
NOTE: Students moving into Knox County during summer months do not need to"transfer" to attend their ZONED Knox County School. Student enrollment (in most cases) is completed at the individual schools.
If you have any questions regarding transfers or enrollment please contact the Enrollment Office at 594-1502.
As of the 2014-15 school year, a child entering kindergarten shall be no less than five (5) years of age on or before August 15 to enter school for the upcoming school year and any year thereafter. Any child legally enrolled in an approved kindergarten during the preceding school year, who could have enrolled in the first grade in the current school year and who makes application for admission, shall be enrolled in the first grade if he/she is six (6) years of age by September 30 of the current school year.
No child shall be eligible to enter first grade without having attended an approved kindergarten program.