Home Schools Department


    Parents may home school their own children pursuant to Tenn. Code Ann. §49-6-3050 by registering with their local education agency (LEA). Parents choosing this educational option must meet specified educational requirements, test the child and report attendance to the local education agency at the end of the year.

    By authority of the same statute, parents may also home school their own children by affiliating with and registering with a church related school defined by Tenn. Code Ann. §49-50-801. If a parent is exercising this educational option by home schooling a child who is in grade 9-12 they must also register with the LEA they would otherwise be attending. For parents exercising this option, with the exception of grades 9-12, the testing requirements are determined by the church related school. Church-related schools must determine what recording-keeping requirements are in place for these parents. However, church-related schools must keep daily attendance reports which pursuant to Tennessee Code Annotated § 49-6-3007(d) shall be open to inspection at all reasonable times, to the director of schools of the system in which the school is located or to the director of school’s authorized representative.

    Further information may be obtained through the following website:
    State of Tennessee Department of Education Homeschooling Information

Home School Contact