***IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BELOW***
If you are applying for the Virtual School for the 2021-2022 school year you will need to select "VIRTUAL" as your reason for transfer.
Also please remember that transfers are NOT granted on a first come, first serve basis. All transfers recieved by the transfer deadlines will be treated the same.
Virtual School Transfer Application Deadline: May 14th @ 4pm
Summer Transfer Application Deadline: July 1 @ 4pm
The 2021-2022 summer transfer window opens May 1, 2021 at 8am. Applications for general transfers and magnet transfers will be accepted for students meeting at least one of the necessary criteria for the 2021-2022 school year:
- Students new to the Knox County Schools, including kindergarten students
- Students who have had a change in family circumstances such as custody or guardianship since February 16, 2021
- Students with a change of address since February 16, 2021
- Students seeking a transfer to a magnet program where space is available
The Summer Transfer Window will close at 4pm on July 1, 2021.In addition to the Summer Transfer Window we will be accepting applications to our Virtual Schools from May 3rd until May 14th.
Students who want to enroll in virtual instruction for the 2021-22 school year must meet certain prerequisites. These include:
- Internet meets KCS requirements (Internet assistance is available by calling the IT customer service line at 594-4484);
- Student tests in-person (Applies to state assessments and could also include diagnostic testing for special education, RTI screening, etc.);
- Parent/Guardian completes an orientation on virtual instruction and signs an agreement;
- Parent/Guardian attends school-specific / program-specific orientation;
- Elementary students must have an identified “Learning Coach” who provides supervision for virtual students throughout the day; and
- Parent/Guardian must go by base schools to pick up additional materials.
A student’s prior academic performance will be considered. These factors include teacher recommendations, academics, work habits, attendance, credits earned (high school). Students must not have received an F as a final grade in a core academic class during Fall 2020. If a student does not meet the prerequisites, a family can appeal to their principal.
Those wishing to apply for student transfer may do so during the Summer Transfer Window in the following ways:
- By applying online here
- By downloading and printing a pdf transfer application by clicking here which you can then submit to the Enrollment Department after completion
- In person by completing and submitting a transfer request form at the Enrollment Department in the Andrew Johnson Building at 912 S Gay Street.