• Attendance and Enrollment

    Families should use our school zone search tool to find their child's zoned school.

    Recommended Documents for Enrollment

    When enrolling a student, parents/guardians should present the following information or documentation to the enrolling school:

    1. Record of Birth – Examples include but are not limited to the following:  

    1. Birth Certificate – issued by any government
    2. Passport issued by any nation (translated)
    3. Immigration documentation
    4. Decree of adoption or other records issued by a court

    2. Immunization Records - Tennessee Certificate of Immunization (Please contact the Knox County Health Department if the records are from another state)

    3. Recent Physical Examination

    4. Proof of Residence - Examples include but are not limited to the following:  

         a. Utility bill
         b. Lease agreement
         c. In cases where the utilities and/or lease agreement is in the name of a person other than the parent/guardian, the person listed must provide the utility bill and/or lease agreement and also must provide a notarized letter stating that the parent/guardian and children are living at that address.  

    5. Proof of Custody (if applicable)

    6. Name and Address of the child's previous school

    Difference in "Transfer" & "Enrollment"

    Student Transfer

    An approved student transfer is needed to attend any school other than the school for which the student is zoned. School zones can be found at kgis.org.


    Students new to Knox County Schools may seek "ENROLLMENT" at their zoned school. School zones can be found at kgis.org.

    NOTE: Students moving into Knox County during summer months do not need to"transfer" to attend their "ZONED" Knox County School. Student enrollment (in most cases) is completed at "ZONED" school.

    Kindergarten Age

    A child entering kindergarten shall be no less than five (5) years of age on or before August 15 to enter school for the upcoming school year and any year thereafter.  Any child legally enrolled in an approved kindergarten during the preceding school year, who could have enrolled in the first grade in the current school year and who makes an application for admission, shall be enrolled in the first grade if he/she is six (6) years of age by September 30 of the current school year.

    No child shall be eligible to enter first grade without having attended an approved kindergarten program.

  • Department Staff

Showing results for "Professor named Smith at Elementary School"
Showing results for "Professor named Smith at Elementary School"