Research, Evaluation, & Assessment
ACCESS for English Learners (WIDA)
REQUIRED BY STATE OF TENNESSEE
During the current school year, English Learners will take the ACCESS for ELLs to determine language proficiency. ACCESS assesses students in the four language domains of Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing.
Applicable Federal/State Law
Administered in accordance with the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) of 2015.
Purpose & Use
Administered to English Learners to evaluate English proficiency. Additional information is available here.
February 13-April 3, 2023
- Test schedules are dependent on the testing windows issued by the Tennessee Department of Education and will be updated by July 31 of each year. They will likely mirror the dates above, but cannot be confirmed until after the information is released by TDOE.
Length of Assessment
The test is self-paced with target administration times for each section of the test as follows:
- Listening: Up to 40 minutes
- Reading: Up to 35 minutes
- Speaking: Up to 30 minutes
- Writing Tier A: Up to 45 minutes
- Writing Tiers B/C: Up to 60 minutes
Results to Parents & Students
Additional information is posted at https://wida.wisc.edu/memberships/consortium/tn.