Knox County Schools Kindergarten Round-up; Enrollment
Kindergarten Round-Up for the 2020-21 school year is scheduled for Tuesday, April 14, 2020. At the Kindergarten Round-up, parents receive important enrollment information in preparation of the upcoming school year. The first two weeks of school will be a staggered schedule for Kindergarten students. Students will attend a half day each week (with dismissal at 12:00 noon) beginning on August 11th and will begin the full day schedule on Monday, August 24, 2020. The school will notify parents either by letter or phone call before the school year begins as to their child's staggered day schedule.
If you are not able to attend Kindergarten Roundup on April 14th, you can still enroll at your zoned school at any time before the beginning of the 2020-21 school year.The ELL Department will hold four Kindergarden Round-Ups at the Welcome Center for non-English speaking families at times to be announced at a later time.
Kindergarten Enrollment Age RequirementsChildren should be five by August 15 to enter school for the upcoming school year.Early Entry for Students Turning Five After August 15If a child has a birth date after August 15 and the parent would like Knox County Schools to consider early entry, they would follow these steps:
- The parent should go to their zone school and ask for the “Parent Referral to the S-Team”.
- The parent will fill out the “Parent Referral to the S-Team” and return it to the principal of the zoned school. The school will schedule a Support Team Meeting with the parent, the principal, a Kindergarten teacher representative, and the school psychologist to review the “Parent Referral to the S-Team”.
- The team may recommend that the school psychologist conduct an evaluation for eligibility of the intellectually gifted criteria.
- The Individual Education Plan (IEP) Team may request permission for an evaluation by the school psychologist. (The IEP Team includes the parent(s), the school principal, a Kindergarten teacher representative, and the school psychologist.)
- At the completion of the testing, the Individual Education Plan (IEP) Team will reconvene to review the testing and make a decision regarding giftedness, and the need for an early entry.
New Enrollment in Knox County Schools
New to Knox County Schools? Welcome!
Welcome to Knox County and The Knox County Schools. We are pleased to have you as a new member of our community.
Note: If you are new to Knox County and your child has never attended school (just starting Kindergarten), please see the information about registering for Kindergarten and for Kindergarten roundup.
Kindergarten is a full day program meaning that school will start at 7:45 and dismiss at 2:45 each day.
How do I enroll my child?A parent or legal guardian must enroll the student at the zoned school. If you do not know the school to which you are zoned, use this link https://www.knoxschools.org/domain/1289 to find your school zone. Complete the Enrollment and Emergency Forms and any other school specific paperwork.
You will need the following information to enroll:
- Birth Certificate - issued by an government- Passport issued by any nation (translated)- Immigration documentation- Decree of adoption or other records issued by a courtThe form that proof of birth takes is an area of parental discretion, and schools will accept appropriate documentation as offered. No one form of documentation is required or preferred over another.
- Proof of Birth - Proof of birth may take many forms. Examples include but are not limited to the following:
- Proof of up-to-date immunizations and of a health/physical examination, recorded on a Tennessee Child Health Record completed by a medical provider or a County Health Department. The form to be completed may be obtained from a medical provider or from the Health Department. The health/physical examination must have been completed within the past year. No student will be enrolled or allowed to attend school without a completed Tennessee School Immunization Certificate.
- Current Proof of Residence - Knox County Schools requires one of the following: a) Utility Bill, b) Lease Agreement, c) in cases where the utilities and/or lease agreement is in the name of a person other than the parent/guardian, the person listed must provide the utility bill and/or lease agreement and also provide a notarized letter stating that the parent/guardian and children are living at that address.
What about my child's previous school records?
You will need to provide the school with the name and address of the child's previous school and the new school will send a request for your child's records.
Kindergarten Round-Up Times
Kindergarten Round-Up Tuesday, April 14, 2020 School AM Hours PM Hours