Kindergarten students will:
- Build upon experiences in their families, schools, and communities as an introduction to social studies.
- Explore different traditions, customs, and cultures within their families, schools, and communities.
- Identify basic needs and describe the ways families produce, consume, and exchange goods and services in their communities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of location by using terms that communicate relative location.
- Show where locations are on a globe.
- Describe events in the past and in the present and begin to recognize that things change over time.
- Understand that history describes events and people of other times and places.
- Identify important holidays, symbols, and individuals associated with Tennessee and the United States and why they are significant.
- Participate in a classroom that will serve as a model of society where decisions are made with a sense of individual responsibility and respect for the rules by which they live.
- Read stories that describe courage, respect, and responsible behavior
Kindergarten State Standards