Do you love teaching social studies? Do you love learning about the latest instructional strategies and then sharing them with others? If so, then the Social Studies Department wants you to be a part of our team! We are looking for a group of K-5 teachers and instructional coaches to work together on all things social studies and serve as leaders in district-wide initiatives. Applications are open and the deadline to submit is Friday, January 24th by 4:00pm.
Social Studies Department
The mission of the Knox County Schools Social Studies Department is to utilize research-based instructional strategies and cross-curricular connections to empower students with the skills and knowledge necessary to become competent, active, career and/or college ready citizens within a global society and to support excellence for every child.
- Engaging in Social Studies coursework nurtures growth in both personal and social skills.
- Social Studies enhances students’ global awareness.
- Social Studies promotes active participation in our political and economic systems.
- Social Studies equips students with skills and knowledge to be successful in their community and world.
- Social Studies empowers students to be problem-solvers and critical thinkers.
- Social Studies fosters good citizenship.
- Social Studies encourages an understanding of the past, how it applies to the present, and of how it impacts the future.
- Social Studies promotes respect for diversity.
- Social Studies teachers engage all students by using purposeful, meaningful, and research-based instructional strategies.
- Cross-curricular instruction supports excellence for all children.
- Collaboration and data-driven instruction supports excellence for every child.
- Students will develop a respect for their rights and the rights of others.
- Students will develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will foster responsible, global citizenship.
- Students will develop the skills necessary to adapt to an ever-changing society.
- Students will understand how society establishes governing institutions and distributes power and authority.
- Students will study, analyze, and interpret data in order to develop a historical perspective to assist in making informed choices and decisions for the present.
- Students will develop global and multicultural perspectives.
The Social Studies standards-based curriculum/content provides critical support for KCS, including the School Board's and each school's Mission, and the Superintendent’s Strategic Plan by:
- Supporting the common good.
- Adopting common and multiple perspectives.
- Applying knowledge, skills, and values to civic action.
- Acquiring information and manipulating data.
- Developing and presenting policies, arguments, and stories.
- Constructing new knowledge.
- Implementing a collaborative, teacher-developed standards-based curriculum.
- Using data to improve instruction.
- Addressing Career, College, and ACT Readiness Standards for Reading & Writing throughout the K-12 Curriculum.
- Encouraging cross-curricular instruction to support high-stakes areas such as Math and Reading.
- Supporting the building of literacy in Social Studies/History.
- Differentiating instruction to support the needs of every child.
Social Studies Staff
Dean BurressK-12 Social Studies FacilitatorAndrew Johnson Building
10th Floor(865) 594-1730 Office
Kristin RisdahlK-12 Social Studies FacilitatorAndrew Johnson Building
10th Floor(865) 594-1730 Office
Vickie BeckersAdministrative Assistant for Social Studies/ ELA/ Reading/ World LanguagesAndrew Johnson Building10th Floor(865) 594-1730 Office