Applying for Voluntary Pre-K
Applications will be accepted beginning March 22.
If you would like to send an application electronically for the 2021-2022 school year, you may fax it to 865-594-9579 or email the application directly to email@example.com.
Children must by 4 by August 15 to attend for the 2021-2022 school year.
Applications for Pre-Kindergarten classes will begin to be accepted in April of each school year. Applications can be submitted at any time throughout the year. Once our available spots are filled, applicants will be placed on a waiting list. Students may be accepted into our VPK program throughout the year as spaces become available. Brochures are available on our website regarding details about our Pre-K classes. Applications may be downloaded or you may have an application mailed to you by calling 865-594-1529 and requesting the application. Applications should also be available at your zoned school.
The following items are needed to complete the application. Please turn these in with the completed Income Verification form and application. Thank you!
- Proof of residency in Knox County - Utility Statement, rent agreement, etc.
- Proof of income - W2 or Check Stub(s)
- Pre-K Application (See Forms Section)
- Income Eligibility Form (See Forms Section)
Children entering the Pre-K programs shall be four years of age on or before August 15th of the current school year. If a child has turned 5 on or before August 15th of the current year, they are eligible for kindergarten. According to our funding requirements, they may not attend Pre-K if they have already turned 5.
The purpose of the program is to provide students residing in Knox County with a positive, developmentally appropriate, hands-on learning experience.
Voluntary Pre-K Information:
First priority will be given to those children who meet an income eligibility guideline.
- An application process is used to determine those students most in need of the Pre-K program.
- Families will be notified at least two weeks prior to the start of the program. The families who are placed on a waiting list will be notified by mail.
- Students will enter on a staggered schedule designed by the classroom teacher (attending two days during the first 10 days of school).
- Students must maintain a 95% attendance rate (see Attendance Policy).
If space is available, others may be enrolled who meet the following criteria:
- Receive special education services.
- Are non-English speakers.
- Are in state custody.
- Have a history of abuse/neglect.
Following enrollment of the above students, others applications will be accepted as space permits. These spaces will be filled after the 25th day of the school year.