Applying for Voluntary Pre-K
The forms posted to the right are for the 2019-20 school year. If you need a copy to be mailed to you, please call the VPK office.Applications for Pre-Kindergarten classes will begin to be accepted in April of each school year. Applications can be submitted at any time through the year. Once our available spots are filled, applicants will be placed on a waiting list. Students may be accepted into the class all through the year as spaces become available. Flyers are available on the website to view regarding details about our Pre-K classes. Applications may be downloaded or you may have an application mailed to you by calling 594-1529 and requesting the application. Applications should also be available at your zone school.
The following items are needed to complete application. Please turn these in with the completed Income Verification form and application. Thank you!
- Proof of residency in Knox County - Utility Statement, rent agreement, etc.
- Proof of income - W2 or Check Stub(s)
- Pre-K Application (See Forms Section)
- Income Eligibility Form (See Forms Section)
Children entering the Pre-K programs shall be four years of age on or before August 15th of the current school year. If a child has turned 5 on or before August 15th of the current year, they are eligible for kindergarten. According to our funding requirements, they may not attend Pre-K if they have already turned 5.
The purpose of the program is to provide students residing in Knox County with a positive, developmentally appropriate, hands-on learning experience.
VOLUNTARY PRE-K REQUIREMENTS:
First priority will be given to those children who meet an income eligibility guideline.
- An application process is used to determine those students most in need of the Pre-K program.
- Families will be notified at least two weeks prior to the start of the program. The families who are placed on a waiting list will be notified by mail.
- Students will enter on a staggered schedule designed by the classroom teacher (attending two days during the first 10 days of school).
- Students must maintain a 95% attendance rate (see Attendance Policy).
If space is available, others may be enrolled who meet the following criteria:
- Receive special education services.
- Are non-English speakers.
- Are in state custody.
- Have a history of abuse/neglect.
Following enrollment of the above students, others applications will be accepted as space permits. These spaces will be filled after the 25th day of the school year.
This is not a first come-first served application process. Acceptance into the program and specific locations of programs for the 2019-20 school year will be determined following grant approval from the Tennessee State Department of Education.
TITLE 1 PRE-K Requirement:
*For students enrolling in a Title 1 funded Pre-K class, the student must reside in a Title 1 school zone. Verification of residence in a Title 1 school zone is required.
The following documents are essential for Pre-K enrollment:
- Copy of official Birth Certificate
- Tennessee Immunization Card with Physical
- Verification of residence in Knox County*
- Student emergency card
- Student Health History