The Knox County Board of Education seeks a student representative as a non-voting member. This position is to be filled annually by a Knox County high school senior.
The role of the student representative will be:
- To provide student insight and perspective to the Board and school system administrators;
- To serve as a liaison to the students of Knox County Schools through established student government and other student communication networks; and
- To report to students about the work of the school system and the Board of Education.
Eligibility requirements for the student representative will be:
- To be a rising senior who has attended a Knox County public high school for one year in good standing;
- To maintain a 2.75 minimum grade point average; and
- To commit a minimum of 15 hours per month.
Responsibilities for the student representative will be:
- To be a resident of Knox County and a senior in a Knox County Schools high school;
- To be bound by all applicable rules and regulations pertaining to the elected Board of Education members;
- To maintain appropriate school attendance, conduct, and grade point average;
- To participate in Board discussions, but not to make motions, vote, hold Board offices, or attend Executive Sessions;
- To receive materials distributed to Board members, with the exception of materials relating to individual students, employees, and other confidential matters exempt from disclosure by law;
- To receive services and support from the Board office and staff members with prior approval of the Board Chair;
- To be reimbursed for all expenses incurred while on Board business with prior approval of the Board Chair; and
- To attend and sit with the Board members at the Board table during work sessions and Board meetings.