High School Transformation
Walking across the graduation stage is a tremendous milestone for KCS students, but we also want them to be prepared for what comes next:
- Enrolling in postsecondary studies;
- Enlisting in service to their country; or
- Finding Employment in a high-wage, high-skill, and in-demand profession, with an Entrepreneurial mindset.
KCS worked with Ford Next Generation Learning (Ford NGL) to foster a community conversation about college and career preparedness and equipping students for life after graduation. This process was convened and funded by Knox Education Foundation.
What’s the strategy?
By creating career-themed academies at district high schools, the 865 Academies initiative will allow students to:
- Participate in authentic, work-based learning;
- Receive opportunities for job shadows and other career exploration activities;
- Work closely with professionals in their field of interest; and
- Create stronger connections between classroom knowledge and workplace success.
The first cohort of 865 Academies schools launched Freshman Academy for incoming 9th-graders in the Fall of 2022. The first cohort of schools includes:
- Austin-East (Academies / Español)
- Bearden (Academies / Español)
- Central (Academies / Español)
- Farragut (Academies / Español)
- Fulton (Academies / Español)
- Hardin Valley (Academies / Español)
- Karns (Academies / Español)
- L&N STEM (Academies / Español)
The second cohort – Carter and South-Doyle – launched Freshman Academy in the Fall of 2023.
The final cohort – Gibbs, Halls, Powell, and West – will launch Freshman Academy in the Fall of 2024.
Partner With Us
Is your business or organization interested in being a partner of The 865 Academies? We have a great team to guide you through the process, and partnership opportunities include:
- Serving as a guest speaker in a Freshman Seminar class;
- Hosting a sophomore industry experience; or
- Hosting an externship for high school teachers.
More information about this initiative is available in our Frequently Asked Questions.