Secondary ELA C&I Update #19
Posted by BRANDY HALL on 5/13/2016 3:00:00 PM
Secondary ELA Summer Learning
- May 24th from 7:30 – 4:00 at Sarah Simpson. Lunch will be provided.
- Theme: Alignment of Standards, Instruction, and Task
- Miah Daughtery- Presenter
- Register on Randa for each of the morning sessions and your choice of the 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. session:
Poster Session – Great Room 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
Keynote Session – Great Room 8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Intervention Strand 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Alignment of Standards, Instruction and Task 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Writing Camp with Freshman Composition Instructors from UTK
June 6-9 from 8:30-11:30
Location: Austin East Magnet
1 Teacher from each middle and high school
2 Groups/ divided by feeder pattern
June 6- Unravel the Writing Standards and Crosswalk Skills to UTK Writing Assignment
June 7 – Work in groups to complete the UTK Writing Assignment and Vertically align tasks for grade appropriate progression
June 8 – Work with Freshmen Composition Instructors
June 9 – Discuss Implications for 6-13 Alignment/ Work on Workshop for each grade level for August In-service
Collaboration with UTK- Digital Reading
June 6, 2016
Audience: 1 ELA teacher and 1 librarian or media specialist per school
E-mail Susan Groenke to register
TNReady Writing- Repeat from Summer 2015
All Day Options
May 25: 8:30 – 3:45 (90-minute lunch break) Bearden High – room 340
July 25: 8:30 – 3:45 (90-minute lunch break) Knox Central – Reading Center
TNReady Writing Follow-Up: Revision Decisions
May 26: 10:00 – 12:00 OR 1:00 – 3:00 Bearden High – room 340
July 26: 10:00 – 12:00 OR 1:00 – 3:00 Knox Central – Reading Center
- Language!Live - 2 days of training (1 day of training/ Follow-up training)
- July 13 Initial Training- ROOM 215 SSPDTC
- July 27 Initial Training - ROOM 215 SSPDTC
- Rewards – 2 days of training (1 day of training/ Follow-up training)
- July 12 Initial Training ROOM 107 SSPDTC
- July 26 Initial Training ROOM 215 SSPDTC
- Reading Plus – 1 day of training
- Erica Jones – July 28 at Vine Middle Magnet
- Erica Jones – August 3
- Step Up to Writing - JULY 25
- Flex Literacy - July 14
- Friday, July 29th from 9:00 – 3:00
- Location TBD
ELA Year Long Course
Comments from teachers who completed the ELA Year Long Course this year:
• As a SPED teacher, I feel this course has allowed me to understand the foundations of ELA which I have not been exposed to in great depths before. I have learned new strategies to help me scaffold intervention activities and lessons as well as graphic organizers, vocabulary, etc. I have learned to love intervention even more!
• This course has given me the tools and knowledge how to respond to "He is just lazy."
• Foundational Reading is extremely important for an intervention teacher to understand. Having this knowledge will enable teachers to identify student deficits and assist students who are struggling with specific needs. "Struggling" can have multiple meanings. Therefore, foundational reading provides specific measures to implement with students. I believe I am as smart as my intervention now that I have completed this course. The course has been very beneficial. I still have more to learn. I enjoyed how the courses were arranged. It provided adequate time in between classes to think about the information learned and adequate time to reflect before the next class. Thanks for everything!
• Provides a better understanding of why students struggle / process to work on individual needs. I can now answer parents with educational terms.
• I feel so much smarter! I can clearly see the process of reading and how all the parts fit together. I'm able to stress what I need to for my kiddos.
• I am learning to be as smart as my intervention. Knowing the science of reading makes me a better teacher in many ways. Understanding the developmental stages of learning to read helps me know what areas on which me know what areas on which to focus for each of my students and for my intervention class as a whole. You're the best!