CTE in Action!
CTE in Action! = CTE goes Real World! + CTSOs
CTE goes Real World!
Purpose: to give teachers the opportunity to provide their students with real life event planning experiences
CTE goes TN Valley Fair Teachers are encouraged to have their students participate in the TN Valley Fair. Students have the opportunity to construct projects to compete with other programs from East TN. By competing in the fair, teachers can combine their quality program efforts with their CTSOs.
CTE goes Live The Live event is the major “Capstone” event for CTE. This event allows our staff to introduce our students to a Real-Life experience. Our students will have a hands on opportunity to produce a major event. CTE classes will produce all flyers and posters, promote the event pre and live on the radio, web, and TV, stage the photo shoot for the candidates, stage up and take down the stage and lighting, job shadow the KPD, and “fluff and buff” the candidates at the B&B Salon. Students will provide photography services for the event along with managing the social media sites such Twitter and Facebook. Each school has the opportunity to promote their programs on Market Square at the event. Toyota Knoxville and Lexus of Knoxville are the Title Sponsor. Stellar Vision and Sound provides the event director. This event usually takes place at the beginning of May, at the end of the school year.
For any questions regarding any of these productions, please contact Buck Coatney at email@example.com.
To watch Mr. Coatney explain CTE in Action! for our new CTE Teachers as part of a recording for the CTE New Teacher Academy, please click here: Mr. Coatney's Interview
Career & Technical Student Organizations (CTSOs) recognize and promote the concept of well-rounded students as being essential for all students in order for them to assume successful roles in society and in the labor market. In general, CTSOs help to improve the quality and relevance of classroom instruction, develop student leadership, enhance citizenship responsibilities, and serve students of special populations. (TDoE: https://tn.gov/education/topic/student-organizations)
Recognized CTSOs and associated career clusters:
- DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America): State advisor - Steven Mitchell --> clusters: Marketing, Finance, Hospitatity & Management
- FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America): State advisor - Steven Mitchell --> clusters: A/V Technology, Business Mgmt. & Administration, Finance, Government & Public Admin, Info Tech, Marketing
- FCCLA (Family, Career and community Leaders of America): State advisor - Christina Isong --> clusters: Interior and Fashion Design Programs of Study, Education & Training, Hospitality & Tourism, Human Services
- FFA (Future Farmers of America): East TN regional consultant - Stena Meadows --> cluster: Agriculture
- HOSA (Future Health Professionals): State advisor - Christina Isong --> cluster: Health Science
- SkillsUSA: Interim state advisor - Brittany Debity-Barker --> Adv. Manufacturing, Architecture & Construction, A/V Technology, Education & Training, Government, Health Science, Culinary Arts Program of Study, Human Services, Info Tech, Law & Public Safety, STEM, Transportation
- TSA (Technolgoy Student Association): Interim state director - Brittany Debity-Barker --> Adv. Manufacturing, Architecture & Construction, A/V Technology, Info Tech, STEM
If you are interested in starting a particular CTSO at your school, please check out the state website mentioned above and contact the listed state advisor!