CTE in Action!
CTE in Action! = CTE goes Real World! + CTSOs
CTE goes Real World!
Purpose: to give teachers the opportunity to provide their students with real life event planning experiences
CTE goes Tee Time The golf tournament enables the CTE teachers the opportunity to raise money to support their CTE programs and classes through acquiring hole sponsorships. Teachers are encouraged to recruit industry advisors to play in the tournament. The next tournament is April 21, 2018.
CTE goes TN Valley Fair Teachers are encouraged to participate in the TN Valley Fair. Teachers have the opportunity to construct projects to compete with other programs from East TN. By competing in the fair, teachers gain quality program credit for their CTSOs. The next TN Valley Fair takes place September 8-18, 2017.
CTE goes Live The Live event is the major “Capstone” event for CTE. This event allows our staff to introduce our students to a Real-Life experience. Our students will have a hands on opportunity to produce a major event. CTE classes will produce all flyers and posters, promote the event pre and live on the radio, web, and TV, stage the photo shoot for the candidates, stage up and take down the stage and lighting, job shadow the KPD, and “fluff and buff” the candidates at the B&B Salon. Students will provide photography services for the event along with managing the social media sites such Twitter and Facebook. Each school has the opportunity to promote their programs on Market Square at the event at their school booths. Toyota Knoxville and Lexus of Knoxville are the Title Sponsor. Stellar Vision and Sound provides the event director. The next CTE goes Live! happens in May, 2018.
For any questions regarding any of these productions, please contact Buck Coatney at email@example.com and/or consult the CTE Goes Real World Handbook.
Career & Technical Student Organizations (CTSOs) recognize and promote the concept of well-rounded students as being essential for all students in order for them to assume successful roles in society and in the labor market. In general, CTSOs help to improve the quality and relevance of classroom instruction, develop student leadership, enhance citizenship responsibilities, and serve students of special populations. (TDoE: https://tn.gov/education/topic/student-organizations)
Recognized CTSOs and associated career clusters:
- DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America): State advisor - Steven Mitchell --> clusters: Marketing, Finance, Hospitatity & Management
- FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America): State advisor - Steven Mitchell --> clusters: A/V Technology, Business Mgmt. & Administration, Finance, Government & Public Admin, Info Tech, Marketing
- FCCLA (Family, Career and community Leaders of America): State advisor - Pamela Sieffert --> clusters: Interior and Fashion Design Programs of Study, Education & Training, Hospitality & Tourism, Human Services
- FFA (Future Farmers of America): East TN regional consultant - Stena Meadows --> cluster: Agriculture
- HOSA (Future Health Professionals): State advisor - Pamela Sieffert --> cluster: Health Science
- SkillsUSA: State advisor - Tracy Whitehead --> Adv. Manufacturing, Architecture & Construction, A/V Technology, Education & Training, Government, Health Science, Culinary Arts Program of Study, Human Services, Info Tech, Law & Public Safety, STEM, Transportation
- TSA (Technolgoy Student Association): State advisor - Tracy Whitehead --> Adv. Manufacturing, Architecture & Construction, A/V Technology, Info Tech, STEM
If you are interested in starting a particular CTSO at your school, please check out the state website mentioned above and contact the listed state advisor!
CTE Teachers of the Month
Salsarita's provides an opportunity of recognition to CTE each month to honor our CTE areas' Teachers of the Month. The months are September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, and May. In return, CTE puts this sponsor's advertisement on the KCS Football calendar, signage at CTE goes Tee Time, and they are a major sponsor at CTE goes Live. The CTE Facilitators select 1 teacher each month and submit their names. Certificates are printed with their name and month and sent to the teachers, with a small token of recognition.
This Year's Winners for the Fall Semester are:
September: Patti Keep – Halls, Jeff McMurray – Halls, Christie Jones – Central, Glenda Inman – Bearden, Bobbie O’Dell – Byington, Tom Shipwash – Halls
October: Josh Cameron – SD, David Collins – Carter, Diane Smith – SD, Glenda Inman – Bearden, Angela Pressley – Powell, Derek Witt – Carter
November: Kelly Corum – Holston, Rod McMahan – SD, Kay Rose – CMA, Tom Bailey – Farragut, Lynsey Flatford – Farragut, Jeff Bryant – SD
December: Joe Winter – Carter Middle, Arthur Baham – Gibbs, Tricia Leslie – Farragut, Cynthia Lynn – Gibbs, Libby Helle – West, Jeff Bryant - SD