How to Become a Substitute
Once You Complete an Online Application
If you hold a teaching license you will need to do the following:
*If you were an intern with KCS the previous term, you do not need to complete the drug screening phase of the pre-screening, however, you will be required to complete the fingerprinting requirement. If you are a former employee and have not had a year’s break in service from KCS you will not need to complete the drug-screening or fingerprinting portion of the background check.If you DO NOT hold a valid teaching license you will need to do the following:
- Bring your teaching license and a photo ID to the Andrew Johnson Building, 912 S. Gay Street, 15th floor on Monday–Wednesday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Sign up to attend a 2-hour orientation session and receive an information packet and pre-screening information (background check, drug-screening)
- Attend the orientation session to be eligible for the substitute pool
OPTION ITake an online substitute teacher training course at a cost of $39.95. The link for the on-line course is located to the right under Quick Links or click here. Once completed, with a minimum score of 85%, print the certificate and bring it to the Andrew Johnson Building (Monday–Wednesday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.) You will also need to bring your driver’s license. At this time, you will register for a 2-hour orientation session and receive an information packet and pre-screening documents. We offer a variety of dates for training to prepare you for the school year; choose the one that works best for you.
If you prefer to attend a substitute training class, at no charge, please contact the Human Resources office at 594-1929 and speak to our scheduling coordinator. The free of charge training class is an all-day class (8:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.). This class is in lieu of the online training. In the class you will receive all of the information you need to meet eligibility requirements to become a substitute teacher. The second part of the day will be an orientation session. Everything you need to qualify for the substitute pool is accomplished during this free session. We offer a variety of dates for the training; choose the one that works best for you.
DRUG SCREENING REQUIREMENTS:
- Must submit to a drug screening within 48 hours of receiving your time-stamped document.
- Your cost is $40.00.
- We do not accept pre-employment screening results from other agencies.
- Fingerprinting does not have a time constraint, however, your substitute application will remain incomplete until this step is complete. You may still attend the class.
- Your cost for the fingerprint screening is $32.65.
- We do not accept fingerprint screening results from other agencies.
All applicants must be approved before being added to the active substitute register. Submitting an application and completing the training is not a guarantee of employment as a substitute. Questions? Please contact Knox County School Human Resources Department at 865.594.1929.We only accept applicants Monday – Wednesday between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.