The following information summarizes Bearden Middle attendance. (Updated 2/2019).
General Information and Frequently Asked Questions
- Please view KCS Attendance Policies (then scroll to bottom of page) for detailed attendance information.
- Absence excuses may be given to the school in advance of an absence or must be received within five (5) days of students return to school. A note is needed each time a student misses any part of school. Students must be at school a minimum of 3 and 1/2 hours to have their attendance listed as present for the day.
- Where students should turn in absent notes:
- Full day absence notes should be given to student's homeroom teacher.
- Partial day absence notes (tardies and early dismissals) should be given to the student office.
- How to excuse absences:
- Absences will not be excused by phone call.
- Parent notes: Students are allowed ten (10) days of parent notes per school year to excuse absences. Parent notes do not excuse all absences. See KCS Attendance Policies (then scroll to bottom of page) for detailed information regarding excusable absences. Parent notes must be given to the school in writing (emails are not accepted) and contain the following information:
- Student's legal name
- Date/s of absence/s
- Reason for absence
- If student is absent due to illness, you do not need to go into detail about illness unless you want the school to have the specific information. You may let us know that student was absent due to illness.
- If you know the absence is not excused then please state in your absence note that you know the absence is not excused.
- Signature of parent/guardian
- Phone number of parent/guardian
- All other notes (ex: doctor/dentist/orthodontist notes, court notes, obituaries) must be received in one of the following manners:
- Paper copy given to school
- Scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- BMS fax at 865/539-7851
- If siblings are absent, each student needs their own absent note.
- If we have your contact information, parents/guardians will receive an automated phone call/email each day a student has an unexcused absence. If you believe that your child was incorrectly marked absent then please do one of the following within two school days of the attendance call/email.
- Have your student turn in a note to the Student Office
- Respond to the automated phone call/email.
- Students with five (5) or more and ten (10) or more unexcused absences will receive correspondence from Knox County Schools and/or Bearden Middle School.
Early Dismissal Information
- Parents/guardians/individuals listed on a student's emergency card must sign-out the student in the office and show their identification each time the student is checked-out of school.
- A student may not sign themself out of school under any circumstances.
- No early dismissals after 3:10 p.m. due to transportation logistics.
Tardy/Late Arrival Information
How to View Students' Attendance and Tips for Parents/Guardians
- Students who are not in class by 8:30 must go to the office and sign in as tardy.
- Following every absence, parents/guardians can help their child by making sure the absence note is in the student's backpack/binder upon return to school.
- Ask student, when student gets out of school, if he/she turned in their absence note.
- If student did not turn in the note, remind them the next morning to turn in the note and ask them again after school if note was turned in.
- If student does not turn in absence note after two (2) days, then contact email@example.com and give the following information:
- Your student has forgotten to turn in their absence note, and the student has the note with them.
- The legal name of your child, your name, your relationship to student, your return phone number, and the date/s of absence/s.
- Once an absence note has been given to the school, parents/guardians should view their child's daily attendance using ASPEN Family Portal four days after the note has been given to the school. (Use the daily attendance tab, not classroom attendance tab found under the academics tab.) Please contact Bearden Middle (539-7839) if you need your ASPEN Family Portal login information. If your child's absence has not been excused, and you believe that it should be, then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- All absences are unexcused until they are changed to excused. The following are some of the attendance codes you may see when viewing your child's attendance on Family Portal.
- A = Absent (unexcused)
- T = Tardy (unexcused)
- D = Early Dismissal (unexcused)
- E next to attendance code = Excused
Bearden Middle Attendance Secretary
BMS Phone 865/539-7839 (Take attendance option)
BMS Fax 865/539-7851 (Fax to: Attention Attendance)
Bearden Middle School Social Worker