The following information summarizes Bearden Middle attendance.
Please view the following for detailed attendance information.
- Student Handbook/Agenda/Policies and Procedures (BMS)
- KCS Attendance Policies (scroll to bottom of page)
Early Dismissal Information
- If it is necessary for a student to leave school early, parents/guardians/individuals on student's emergency card must sign-out children in the office and show their identification each time a student is checked-out of school.
- Under no circumstances may a student sign themself out of school.
- Due to transportation logistics, no early dismissals after 3:10 p.m.
- Students must be at school 3 and 1/2 hours to be listed as present.
- Students who are checked-out before 12:00 noon will be counted as absent for the day.
- Students who are on time (in their homeroom classroom when attenance is taken), and checked-out after 12:00 noon, will be counted as present for the day.
- Students who are tardy to school will need to be checked-out the same number of minutes as tardy, after 12:00 noon, to be counted as present for the day.
- See "Absence Notes" information below.
Tardy/Late Arrival Information
- Students who check-in to school after 12:00 noon will be counted as absent, for the day, on full days of school.
- Students who check-in to school after 8:30am will be counted as absent, for the day, on half days of school.
- See "Absence Notes" information below.
- An absence note should be turned in every time a student is absent for any part of school (tardy, early dismissal, full day absence).
- Doctor notes and Parent notes are two means to excuse absences. Students are allowed ten (10) days of parent notes per school year to excuse absences. Parent notes do not excuse all absences. See KCS attendance policy, at the top of this page, for detailed information regarding excusable absences.
- Every parent note should contain:
- Student's legal name.
- Date/s of absence/s.
- Reason for absence.
- If student is absent due to illness, you do not need to go into detail about illness unless you want the school to have the specific information. You may let us know that student was absent due to illness.
- If you know the absence is not excuasable, please state, in your absence note, that you know the absence is not excused.
- Signature and phone number of parent/guardian.
- If siblings are absent, each student needs their own absent note.
- Upon student's return to school, the absence note, for full day absences, should be given to their homeroom teacher.
- Upon student's return to school, the absence note, for partial day absences (tardies and early dismissals), should be given to the Student Office.
- Parent absent notes are not accepted by email.
- Attendance information/questions should be directed to the attendance secretary (see contact information below), not teachers.
Tips for Parents/Guardians Regarding Absent Notes and Excused/Unexcused Absences
- Following every absence, parents/guardians can help their child by making sure the absence note is in the student's backpck/binder upon return to school.
- Ask student, when student gets out of school, if he/she turned in their absence note.
- If student did not turn in the note, remind them the next morning to turn in the note and ask them again after school if note was turned in.
- If student does not turn in absence note after two (2) days, then contact the attendance secretary (see contact information below). Give the following information:
- Your student has forgotten to turn in their absence note (for number of days student has forgotten to turn in absence note), and you do know that the student has the note with them.
- The legal name of your child, your name, your relationship to student, your return phone number, and the date/s of absence/s.
- You will receive a return phone call/email within 48 business hours.
- Once absence note has been given to the school, parents/guardians should view their child's daily attendance using ASPEN Family Portal five days after the note has been given to the school. (Use the daily attendance tab, not classroom attendance tab found under the academics tab.)
- If your child's absence has not been excused, and you believe that it should be, then contact the attendance secretary (see contact information below).
- All absences are unexcused until they are changed to excused. The following are some of the attendance codes you may see when viewing your child's attendance on Family Portal.
- A = Absent (unexcused)
- T = Tardy (unexcused)
- D = Early Dismissal (unexcused)
- E next to attendance code = Excused
- Students with five (5) or more unexcused absences will receive a letter from Knox County School and possibly a phone call from Bearden Middle School.
- Students with ten (10) or more unexcused absences will receive a letter from the Bearden Middle School social worker (see contact information below).
- If your child will be absent for five (5) or more consecutive days, please contact the attendance secretary. Always feel free to contact your child's teachers, but please know that attendance information should also be given to the attendance secretary by the parent/guardian.
- Parents/guardians will receive an automated phone call/email each day a student has an unexcused absence, if we have your contact information. If you believe that you have received this information in error then please contact the attendance secretary (see contact information below) within 48 business hours.
- Please contact school attendance secretary with questions (see contact information below).
Bearden Middle Attendance Secretary
539-7839 (take attendance option)
Bearden Middle School Social Worker