Middle school is an exciting, yet challenging time for students, their parents and teachers. During this passage from childhood to adolescence, middle school students are characterized by a need to explore a variety of interests, connecting their learning in the classroom to its practical application in life and work; high levels of activity coupled with frequent fatigue due to rapid growth; a search for their own unique identity as they begin turning more frequently to peers rather than parents for ideas and affirmation; extreme sensitivity to the comments from others; and heavy reliance on friends to provide comfort, understanding and approval.
As School Counselors, we strive to assist all students and parents as they navigate through the middle school years by providing resources and support. Please contact us with any concerns. We are here to help YOU!
Middle School Counselors Implement the Counseling Program by Providing:
- School Guidance Curriculum - bullying prevention, conflict resolution, high school transition, 5th grade transition
- Individual Student Planning
- Small Group - academic or personal/social concerns
- Responsive Services - student or family crisis support
- System Support
- Testing - TNReady, EXPLORE, Writing Assessment
Source: American School Counseling Association, "Why Middle School Counselors?"