The Volunteer State Book Award is sponsored annually by the Tennessee Library Association and the Tennessee Association of School Librarians. Children and Young Adults across the state are asked to read books from a list of nominated titles, divided into four groups: Primary (K-2nd Grade), Intermediate (Grades 3-5), Middle School (Grades 6-8) and High School (Grades 9-12). Any student who has read or listened to at least three of the nominated books by the spring can vote on their favorite. The author of the book with the most votes statewide receives a plaque and is invited to TN to receive the award! (Description paraphrased from the official website, found here: http://www.tasltn.org/vsba)
2019-2020 Volunteer State Book Award Nominees—Middle School Division
Red Titles Available in the CBMS Collection!
- Beasley, Cassie. Tumble & Blue. Dial Books, 2017.
- Burt, Jake. Greetings from Witness Protection! Feiwel and Friends, 2016.
- Burkinshaw, Kathleen. The Last Cherry Blossom. Sky Pony Press, 2016.
- Cartaya, Pablo. The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora. Viking, 2017.
- Chanani, Nidhi. Pashmina. First Second, 2017.
- Cronin, Doreen and Debra Sfetsios-Conover. Cyclone. Atheneum Books for Young People, 2017.
- Gratz, Alan. Refugee. Scholastic, 2017.
- Hale, Shannon and LeUyen Pham. Real Friends. First Second, 2017.
- Jackson, Linda Williams. Midnight Without a Moon. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2017.
- Jamieson, Victoria. All’s Faire in Middle School. Dial Books, 2017.
- Khan, Hena. Amina’s Voice. Salaam Reads, 2017.
- Lu, Marie. Warcross. G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books, 2017.
- Moore, David Barclay. The Stars Beneath Our Feet. Knopf, 2017.
- Oh, Ellen. Spirit Hunters. Harper Collins, 2017.
- Pérez, Celia. The First Rule of Punk. Viking, 2017.
- Porter, Sarah. Tentacle & Wing. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2017.
- Reynolds, Jason. Miles Morales: Spider-Man. Marvel Press, 2017.
- Rosenblatt, Darcey. Lost Boys. Henry Holt and Company, 2017.
- Watson, Renée. Piecing Me Together. Bloomsbury, 2017.
- Wolk, Lauren. Beyond the Bright Sea. Dutton Books for Young Readers, 2017.
2018-2019 Volunteer State Book Award Winners