What is Work-Based Learning? - TEAM MEETING LINKS ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THE SITE.
Work-based Learning (WBL) is a proactive approach to bridging the gap between high school and high-demand, high-skill careers in Tennessee. Students build on classroom-based instruction to develop employability skills that prepare them for success in postsecondary education and future careers. Through experiences like internships, apprenticeships, and paid work experience, Seniors and Juniors (16 years or older) may earn high school credit for capstone WBL experiences.
- Students may earn 1 credit per semester.
- Students may choose to participate in one or two semesters.
- Students will be dismissed at 2:00 p.m. daily (4th block class). If you work weekends, you still qualify to leave at 2:00 as long as you are working 7.5 hours.
- Students are required to work 7.5 hours a week in paid or non-paid work experience.
- Students will create a final project which will be an Online Portfolio of their work experience which is due at the end of the semester.
- Students are required to attend the first 5-10 days of class. During the beginning of school, you will be given additional paperwork that is required from your employer. Once it is submitted and signed off on by the district Work Based Learning Coordinator, you will be free to begin your work experience. You will also be required to attend 4 seminars and the EOC/Presentation day.
- Ms. Shipley is also required to visit your worksite twice during the semester.
- VERY IMPORTANT - Your work experience must be in your Elective Focus. If you have any questions, check with your counselor or see Ms. Shipley in Room 313.
Please read the information below carefully:
- Download both forms at the bottom of this website. (Please type directly on the Application form before printing.)
- If you have any questions about your Elective Focus, (you may have a couple of Focus areas) See Ms. Mullinax, Class of 2023; or Ms. Nash, Class of 2024.
- Once you have signed the form along with your parents or guardians, turn in the Application to Ms. Shipley (Room 313) by Thursday, March 3, 2022.
- You will give the Elective Focus/Teacher Recommendation form directly to the teacher. You will ask them to place the form back in Ms. Shipley's mailbox by Thursday, March 3, 2022
- I will turn all of the remaining information in to the Counselors to sign off on your attendance and to verify your Elective Focus. I will also get the Principal's signature for you, who will also verify your discipline record.
- VERY IMPORTANT... There will be two Informational virtual Teams meetings, which you and your parents can attend. You only need to attend one; however, they are optional! The meetings will be held at 6:00 p.m. on February 21st & 28th! Please fill out this form so that we can sign you up for the Teams meeting. Sign up HERE to attend an optional Virtual WBL Informational meeting or click on the link below the day of the Teams Meeting!
Below are the Links to the meeting if you forget to sign up. They will not be posted until the day of the meeting. If you cannot log in, email Ms. Shipley at email@example.com and she will immediately send you a meetings link!
Link to Teams meeting on Monday, February 28, 2022 - CANCELLED FOR FEB 28!! PLEASE CHECK YOUR SCHOOL MAIL. IT WILL BE RESCHEDULED. PLEASE GO AND SEE YOUR COUNSELOR FOR MORE INFORMATION!
For more information, contact:
Ms. Shipley, Room 313, BHS WBL Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Mullinax, 2023 Counselor
Ms. Nash, 2024 Counselor
WBL APPLICATIONS ARE ABOVE THIS INFORMATION, ON THE LEFT.
DEADLINE - THURSDAY, MARCH 3, 2022
TO MS. SHIPLEY, ROOM 313