The school counseling program encompasses a broad area of services, which include preventive services, developmental lessons and activities, and remedial assistance. The program guides students in realizing their potential so that students develop as responsible citizens and life-long learners. The framework for the school counseling program centers on the core values of PBIS: respect, responsibility, resourcefulness, and safety.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________The mission of the Brickey-McCloud School Counseling Program is to provide every student with a comprehensive school counseling program centered around an engaging curriculum that encourages the highest level of student achievement and excellence through their growth in academic, career and personal/social domains. In partnership with teachers, administrators, parents and a caring community, the school counselors will help every student to reach his/her maximum potential.
________________________________________________________________________________________________Brickey-McCloud students are high-achieving learners who potentially graduate college and career ready, well prepared to meet the challenges and high expectations of the 21st century. All students participate in rigorous curriculum with high-quality academic and artistic opportunities for self-directed personal growth supported by a comprehensive school counseling program that facilitates strategic partnerships between the school, family and community. As successful, life-long learners and productive citizens, each of our students achieves excellence, making a positive difference in our schools and community.
The School Counselor at Brickey-McCloud believes:
________________________________________________________________________________________________- All students can achieve and meet high standards that will result in college and career success.
- Student developmental needs are best met by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program.
- School counselors must be leaders, advocates and collaborators who create equitable access to rigorous curriculum and opportunities for self-directed personal growth for every student.
- Student achievement is maximized by participation in a comprehensive school counseling program that is planned, managed, delivered and evaluated by licensed professional school counselors.
- Data must be analyzed and translated into goals that guide the development of the comprehensive counseling progam promoting student achievement.
- Applying the ASCA Ethical Standards for School Counselors empowers school counselors to make decisions based on the highest moral principles to promote the maximum development of every student.
Counseling and Career Guidance_________________________________________________________________________________________________The Tennessee School Counseling and Career Guidance Standards are statements of what students should know and be able to do as a result of participating in a school counseling program. TN State School Counseling Standards Since the purpose of such a program is to ensure that all students can achieve school success through academic, career and personal/social development experiences, these standards represent what a school counseling and career guidance program should contain and establish similar goals, expectations, support systems and experiences for every student. The standards address the needs outlined in the educational reform agenda articulated in the State Board of Education’s Master Plan for Tennessee Schools by advocating school counseling programs that promote school success through a focus on academic achievement, prevention and intervention, and social/emotional and career development. The organizational design of the standards reflects the nine standards in the National Standards for School Counseling Programs developed by the American School Counselor Association, which, in turn, are based on the three widely accepted and interrelated areas of student development: academic, career, and personal and social development.
The standards and expectations
- for academic development guide the school-counseling program to implement strategies and activities to support and maximize learning;
- for career development serve as a guide to provide the foundation for acquiring the attitudes, knowledge and skills that enable students to make a successful transition from school to the world of work and from job to job across the career life span;
- for personal/social development provide the foundation for personal and social growth, which contributes to academic and career success.