Welcome to the Central High School Bobcat Cross Country. We will learn about discipline, focus, breathing and stride techniques, and more. We will run in meets at beautiful Victor Ashe and Cherokee Park, to name a few.Cross country is a competitive and team sport, but also a chance for athletes to enter a zen zone of meditation and calm, experience and appreciate nature, and work on life-long healthy habits. We at Central encourage anyone who wants to run to be a part of this team. All you need is a physical and a willingness to come and push yourself!Runners must have a physical to compete.
About Central Track & Field Season 2022-2023
The Central High School Track and Field program is a spring sport offered by the FHS athletic program and is sanctioned by the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA).
Off Season practice
Our strength and conditioning practices start in October on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays from 3:40p – 5:00p. We will meet in the weight room behind the gym.
Need a physical in order to practice.
Regular Season practice
Our first mandatory spring practice starts on February 13th. We practice Monday-Friday 3:45pm - 5:30pm at the track. Need a physical before you practice.
Track and Field Events
Coaches provide training in three categories: track events (sprints/distance running), field events (throwing, jumping/vaulting), and multi-events (decathlon/pentathlon) which combine disciplines from both track and field.
Sprint events: 100m, 200m, 400m, 110/100m high hurdles, 300m Intermediate hurdles, Relays (4x100m, 4x200m, 4x400m)
Distance events: 800m, 1600m, 3200m, 4x800m
Field events: Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump, Pole Vault, Discus, Shot Put
Our four guiding principles:
1.Discipline: To motivate student-athletes to set goals, nurture individual strengths, techniques, and abilities and train hard to be the best on and off the track.
2.Perseverance: To encourage student-athletes to put forth a full effort in every workout, train and condition to maximize efficiency, increase speed, improve strength and develop both mentally and physically to reach their maximum potential in competitive situations
3.Leadership: To create a student-centered learning environment where dedication and discipline to academics and athletics not only enhance the quality of the lives of student-athletes, but also the lives of those who come in contact with them.
4.Teamwork: To unify every team member under the common goal of striving to reach his/her best at practice and at competitive meets so that each athlete can experience success as an individual, as a team and as a community.
- All athletes will be at practice and ready to run from 3:45pm - 5:30pm. Any athlete missing the warm up without a valid excuse may be sent home without practicing that day and be counted as an unexcused absence.
- All athletes are required to complete the given workout; any athlete unable to do so may be taken out of competition for their own safety.
- Athletes are expected to maintain a 2.0 GPA; any athlete under a 2.0 may be dismissed from team.
- Athletes are expected to maintain appropriate behavior/attitude on and off the field; any athlete who shows disrespect towards their coaches, teammates, teachers, officials may be dismissed.
- All athletes competing at a meet will remain in the team designated area until they are done competing. Any athlete that leaves must have a coaches permission.
- All athletes are required to bring their own snacks and drinks with them to the meets. Coaches will bring a Gatorade cooler with water to the meets. Some of the meets can last all day so please come prepared.
- Good Sportsmanship is expected by all athletes; any athlete not able to comply will be dismissed from the team.
- All injuries need to be cleared through our athletic trainer or medical physician. Only they can decide if an athlete is able to not participate in practice or a meet.
- Athletes are responsible for transportation to and from the meets. Please arrange transportation ahead of time.
- Coaches have final say on who runs what events and there may be situations when an athlete needs to substitute for someone else on a short notice; this will be an opportunity for you to help the team. Attitude is everything.
- Unless you hear TRACK PRACTICE IS CANCELLED” over the intercom you are expected to be at practice. If it is raining we will still meet. Weather isn’t an excuse not to train.
- There will be an attendance policy. All Athletes are expected to be at practice. If an athlete misses more than 3 unexcused absences; they will be dismissed from the team. Unexcused absences are case by case situation and up to the coaches rather it’s excused or not. Work, weather, no transportation is not an excuse to miss practice.
Athletes are responsible for their own competition shorts. They MUST BE SOLID BLACK with no other colors or designs on them. Runners can wear black running shorts or compression shorts. Throwers can wear black athletic shorts but they have to be solid black as well. The company’s logo for example; Nike check mark, has to be smaller than 3 inches. It can’t be a huge company logo. Track singlets will be handed out to the athletes before the first track and field meet.
There will be a $300 team fee for each athlete. This fee covers the $60 athlete insurance fee, electronic timing system for home meets, track and field equipment, track meet fees for athletes to compete, and other related essentials. If your child already played a Fall or Winter Sport, the previous season, they don’t owe the $60 insurance fee and owe $240. We do offer fundraiser events where the kids can raise money to pay for their team fees. This events are normally the UT Football games we do in the Fall. Fees can be paid by cash or check. Please make check out to Central High School Track and Field.
Finally, we look forward to seeing you at practice and helping you achieve your goals. Go Bobcats!