Welcome to KMS!
Welcome to Karns Middle School. We love it here in the Beaver Dam and we hope you will too! Karns Middle School is a 6th, 7th and 8th grade middle school. Our school has two secretaries: Lauren Miller (attendance, substitute teachers, principals and everyday life here at KMS) and Cyndi Smith (registrar, principals, and everyday life here at KMS). We are here to help, so please never hesitate to call or email us.We have compiled a few items that might help you get to know KMS:
Medical formsIf you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 865.539.7732 and press 0 for the office.
- Our front door is directly behind the flag pole and you will need to press the buzzer on the right-side wall to get into the building.
- Our Executive Principal is Brent Glenn. Our 7th-grade Assistant Principal is Kristina Shelton, our 8th-grade Assistant Principal is Brittany White-Newcomb, and our 6th-grade Dean is Brant Gerhardt.
- Everything you need starts in the office. Always check in the office for all business here at KMS.
- To check your student out, you will need your license or passport.
- The KCS Attendance Policy is:
- All absent notes are to be turned into the main office.
- We have an open campus for lunch however, due to due to capacity issues, visitors that wish to eat lunch with their students can use the bench in the main hall or the benches outside the front doors.
- We do not do any checkouts after 3:00
- Our full-day runs from 8:30-3:30 (doors open at 7:30)
- A half-day runs from 8:30 to 12:00 (doors open at 7:30)
- We have started early dismissal days this year, we will dismiss at 1:30 (check the KCS calendar for specific dates https://www.knoxschools.org/domain/2295).
- Your student's transportation is between you and your student, please discuss this and be clear with directions before your student gets to school.
- The BUS STOP LOCATOR is a great tool: Bus Stop Locator
- When we have an afterschool dance, it will take place at 3:45 and end at 5:30.
- Parent Portal Information: Parent Portal Info.
- Portal Brochure
- IT help desk: support ticket
- For medical forms, please see our medical forms below. For any questions, our nurse is: Tabitha.email@example.com
- Your student will need a KCS Sports Physical to participate in any KCS sports, that form is below.
- For enrollment, please visit our enrollment LINK for information, the necessary forms are below.
We have some important updates to share about school meals in the 2022-23 school year.
Since the Fall of 2020, KCS has provided breakfast and lunch meals to students at no cost, regardless of income status or school attended. This was made possible by waivers provided by the federal government. However, the federal government at this time has not extended the waivers necessary to continue this program. As a result, the only students who will receive no-cost or reduced-price meals during the 2022-23 school year are those whose free and reduced-price meal application has been approved. Additionally, students attending a Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) school will also have access to no-cost meals. More information about CEP schools will be provided in the coming weeks.
In the upcoming school year, the cost for meals will be as follows:
Breakfast – $2Elementary Lunch – $2.75 Middle / High School Lunch – $3
To apply for free and reduced-price meals for the 2022-23 school year, please visit www.lunchapplication.com AFTER July 1, 2022. Free and reduced-price meal applications will also be available at all school sites over the summer and the beginning of the 2022-23 school year.
Please keep in mind that this change is based on current guidance from the federal government. If changes are made to this guidance, we will inform families promptly. For more information, please see the following letter from the State of Tennessee: TN School Nutrition Program Update.pdf.
Brett FosterExecutive Director of School Nutrition Knox County Schools