The History of New Hopewell
New Hopewell is located in South Knox County, approximately one mile east of Chapman Highway. The original New Hopewell School, located at Deadrick Springs, was a small, one room log cabin used for school,church,and community activities. The name "New Hopewell" came from the earliest settlers when others told them that they "hope you well" at their new homes. In 1894, a larger building was needed, and construction began at the current location on Kimberlin Heights Road. As the community continued to grow, so did the need for New Hopewell School. Construction to add additional rooms to the school took place a total of seven times from 1909 to 1970. In 1975, a fire consumed half of the school, leaving only four classrooms and the gymnasium standing. Efforts to fix what the fire had destroyed led to what is now the current structure. New Hopewell School continued to grow with the closing of White Elementary School. In the fall of 1981, the students and staff of White Elementary merged with New Hopewell Elementary. New Hopewell Elementary has played an important part in the Kimberlin Heights Community for years. Many community leaders, parents of today's students, and current staff attended New Hopewell as elementary students. New Hopewell is one of nine feeder schools for South-Doyle Middle School and South-Doyle High School.