A little bit about the history of Powell Middle School...
Powell Middle School (PMS) is located at 3329 W
Emory Rd. The Powell community is situated ten miles northwest of the city of
Knoxville and shares a long history in the overall growth of Knox County. The
Powell community was originally named Powell Station after Mr. Columbus Powell,
a farmer who donated land for a train station to be built to serve the railroad,
which came through in 1860. The word "Station" was dropped in 1949.
In 1874, Dr. John Ragsdale donated land for a new school. A two-room schoolhouse
was built, one to house grades 1-4, and a "big" room to house grades
5-10. The school became known as Perkins School.
In 1948, the elementary and high schools were
separated, and a high school was constructed on Emory Road. The current location
of Powell Elementary School, which housed grades 1-8, was built on what was the
original site of the first Powell Station School for grades 1-12. At that time,
the Powell community had a population of 2,553 residents.
During the 1960s and 1970s, Powell experienced
the effects of urban sprawl, due to more Knoxville residents seeking homes
outside the city. In 1969, Powell Elementary underwent a major expansion
allowing grades 1-6 to move into the new wing, while grades 7-8 remained in the
old wing until the completion of the current Powell Middle School in 1979.
In 2008, PMS began a renovation phase that would
be completed in two phases. The first
phase was to construct a new cafeteria, new gym and a new wing of classrooms
that runs parallel to Shropshire Blvd.
The second phase included renovation of the existing school to include a
new office, library, music wing, art rooms and more classrooms. The beginning of the 2009-2010 school year
marked the opening of the newly renovated school along with updated technology
that includes a SMART board and projector in every classroom, several computer
labs, including a lab with 30 Apple MAC computers, and two iPAD mobile
stations. At the end of 2016, there were
approximately 950 students enrolled.