Spanish National Honor Society
The Spanish Honors Society (Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica) is a national organization and affiliate of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese. This society recognizes the scholarship and academic achievement of candidates in the study of Spanish.
1. Students have the first opportunity to join the SHS while enrolled in Spanish III or IV and must be a sophomore, junior or senior. To be eligible students must:
- a. Have an unweighted B average in Spanish IV/V and an A average in Spanish III.
- b. Having a minimum general academic average of B.
2. In order to remain a member in good standing in the SHS, each student is required to:
- c. Be enrolled in the next sequential Spanish course offered to show continued interest in Spanish studies.
- a. Maintain a minimum of 80% in Spanish Honors courses or a minimum of 90% for regular Spanish courses.
- b. Maintain a general academic average of B.
- c. Attend a minimum of 50% of our meetings.
- d. Participate in 50% of the events and activities sponsored by the SHS.
- e. Pursue the study of the Spanish language in the following year of study.
3. In order for any senior to be honored as an SHS member at graduation, he or she must:
- a. Be a member in good standing as defined above.
- b. Be currently enrolled in Spanish or have completed Spanish AP in his/her junior year.
- c. Maintain the GPA requirements in Spanish & the general academic average which are listed in section 2.
*STAY TUNED FOR FUTURE ANNOUNCEMENTS REGARDING AN INTEREST MEETING*
- d. Intend to continue the study of the Spanish language in the future.
We will have an interest meeting on Wednesday, September 9th at 8:05am in room 211. You will be able to pick up membership and officer applications. We will briefly discuss the requirements of Spanish Honor Society.