The Karns Elementary professional school counselors believe:
- All students can learn and should be given the opportunity to do so.
- All students have dignity and worth and have a right to a safe, mutually respectful, healthy and orderly learning environment.
- Learning involves the education of the whole person and is a continuous lifelong process.
- All students have the right to participate in the school counseling program.
- Learning requires the active participation, mutual respect and individual accountability of students, teachers, staff, parents and community members.
- Diversity is to be respected and appreciated as we foster unity among our students, faculty, staff and community.
The school counseling program should:
- Be student-centered. The program will be based on specified goals and developmental student competencies for all students
- Advocate on behalf of all students
- Consider all students’ ethnic, cultural, racial, and special needs when planning and implementing the school counseling program.
- Be data-driven. Data will be used in assessing the needs and effectiveness of the school counseling program and will drive future program development and evaluation. Program development and evaluation is based on the state of Tennessee's curriculum for guidance and counseling.
All school counselors:
- Will hold state certification.
- Will abide by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counselor Association.
- Will participate in professional development essential to maintaining a high-quality school counseling program.
Karns Elementary School Counseling Program Mission:The mission of our school counseling program is to support all students in reaching their fullest potential through a comprehensive and developmental approach by addressing academic, career and personal/social skills.The school counselor’s role is to foster a positive learning environment for all students.Karns Elementary School Counseling Program Vision:The vision of our School Counseling Program is to provide all students a positive and safe learning environment that fosters growth, achievement, and development of the whole child.TN School Counseling Model and Standards Policy