Genius Hour begins August 18!
Posted by Becky Ashe on 8/17/2014
After empathizing and ideating with students, parents, and teachers last year we arrived at the prototype schedule that will kick off the test phase on Monday, August 18. We're so excited to bring Genius Hour to the students and teachers of the L&N!
Genius Hour is several things. It is:
- a direct response to students asking for a "brain break" and opportunities to participate in clubs even if they ride school buses,
- a response to parents asking for teachers to be able to incorporate and share "passion" interests and projects to enrich students' lives,
- a model based on a Google practice called "20%." The idea is to encourage employees to spend 20% of their time on passion projects, this way when they return to their normal tasks, they are more energized and even more creative after stretching that other side of the brain for a spell,
- an opportunity to bring the educational strategy of "Genius Hour" (look it up on Twitter) to our student body in their own way,
- a way for us to offer small group tutoring and intervention to students who need it during the school day,
- a chance to do test prep training for high stakes assessments like the ACT and SAT,
- finally, a strategy to allow teachers to group by subject areas on a regular basis for their own content planning to enhance instruction.