Return to Headlines
Sales Tax Holiday, July 29-31, 2016
Tennessee’s annual Sales Tax Holiday is Friday, July 29 through Sunday, July 31. During the three-day tax holiday, shoppers can save nearly 10 percent on clothing, school and art supplies, and computer purchases. The tax-free weekend begins at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, July 29 and ends Sunday, July 31 at 11:59 p.m.. To see the list of school supplies for your student’s classroom, please visit your school’s website by first going to knoxschools.org and using the “Select a School” button at the top of the page. Also, school supply lists are posted on the doors of our schools.
A few examples of exempted items include the following:
During the designated days, shoppers will not pay state or local sales tax on select clothing with a price of $100 or less per item, school and art supplies with a price of $100 or less per item and computers with a price of $1,500 or less. Click here for a list of items that qualify for the tax-free weekend.
- Clothing: Shirts, dresses, pants, coats, gloves, hats and caps, hosiery, neckties, belts, sneakers, shoes, athletic and non-athletic uniforms, scarves, jackets, jeans, socks and underwear
- School supplies: Binders, book bags and backpacks, calculators, tape, chalk, crayons, erasers, folders, glue, pens, pencils, lunch boxes, notebooks, paper, pencils, rulers and scissors
- Art supplies: Clay and glazes, paints, paintbrushes, sketch and drawing pads and watercolors
- Computers: Computers are defined as central processing units (CPUs) and bundled components including speakers,monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables and basic software
- Laptop computers, desktop computers and tablets less than $1,500 each are eligible