Sales Tax Holiday, Aug. 7-9
Tennessee’s annual Sales Tax Holiday is scheduled for Friday, Aug. 7, through Sunday, Aug. 9, 2015. During the three-day tax holiday, shoppers can save nearly 10 percent on clothing, school and art supplies and computer purchases. The tax-free weekend begins at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 7, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 9. To see the list of school supplies for your student’s classroom, please visit your school’s website by first going to knoxschools.org and using the “Select a School” button at the top of the page. Also, school supply lists are posted on the doors of our schools.
A few examples of exempted items include the following:
- Clothing: Shirts, dresses, pants, coats, gloves, hats and caps, hosiery, neckties, belts, sneakers, shoes, athletic and non-athletic uniforms, scarves, jackets, jeans, socks and underwear
- School supplies: Binders, book bags and backpacks, calculators, tape, chalk, crayons, erasers, folders, glue, pens, pencils, lunch boxes, notebooks, paper, pencils, rulers and scissors
- Art supplies: Clay and glazes, paints, paintbrushes, sketch and drawing pads and watercolors
- Computers: Computers are defined as central processing units (CPUs) and bundled components including speakers,monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables and basic software.
- Laptop computers, desktop computers and tablets less than $1,500 each are eligible.