Click Here to Read Mrs. Lutton's "Hurricane Happenings" Newsletter for 10/17/19
Good evening, Holston families! I have just a few announcements before we start our weekends:
1. Grades for the first nine weeks are finalized and can be accessed in Aspen.
2. If you'd like to hear about our various programs, get Aspen and Canvas support, see performances from our Jazz Band and Show Choir, or just want to jump-start your holiday shopping, our Fall Festival will showcase all of that and more! It will be on Oct. 22nd from 4:00-6:30, and free pizza and snow cones will be available. Please stop by!
3. Get ready for basketball season! Our first game is Oct. 24th, with the girls' game starting at 4:30. Tickets are $3 for students and $5 for adults.
Thank you--and the students--for a smooth start to our second nine weeks!
Kathryn Lutton, Principal
Hurricane Happenings Newsletter, 10/13/19
Good evening, Holston Parents and Families!
1. Thank you all for your participation in this year’s KCS Coupon Book fundraiser. Though we did not reach our goal of 700 books sold, we did sell enough books to raise over $4,600 toward facility upgrades and student incentives!
2. We will host one more informational session for parents for the upcoming National Junior Beta Conference held in Nashville, TN, Nov 23-25. This is an academic competition that we attend each year. We are excited that this year we will be able to stay two nights to participate in more events. Parents, please plan to come inside to attend a short informational meeting in the Hospitality Room on Oct. 16, following the induction ceremony. We will discuss the itinerary and fundraising opportunities to help pay for the trip. A $50 non-refundable deposit will also be due Oct.16.
3. Are you ready to support the Holston Hurricanes during basketball season? If you would like to be a part of the spirit here at Holston, come join our student Pep Club in cheering on our Holston Hurricane Boys and Girls basketball teams this fall! There will be an informational meeting on Oct. 17th at 8:15 in the auditorium. For a $20 fee, students receive a Pep Club T-shirt, admittance to all home games (10 total), and other benefits!
4. The next PTSA meeting will be Oct. 17th from 4:00-5:00 in the main office.
5. Please make plans to attend our Fall Festival on Oct. 22nd from 4:00-6:30! This year, we are opening up the event to local vendors, high school feeders, and other partners. Free pizza will also be available.
6. Holston will host a clothing drive from Oct. 21-25 for gently used clothes, especially jeans, T-shirts, and jackets/coats. For each grocery bag of clothes, students will receive one ticket to be redeemed for snacks during lunch!
7. Because we just ended our first nine-week grading period, all students will switch to their Q2 (Quarter 2) Related Art class. Please remind your child of this change before he/she comes back on the 14th.
8. Basketball players: The deadline for basketball players to order team shoes and shooting shirts is midnight on Monday, Oct. 14th. Each player was sized at the school using the exact shoe. If you need your child’s size, please email email@example.com and he can give you the size needed. The store will close at midnight on Monday, and we can’t extend that time. Parents, to order the shoes and shooting shirts, or if you are interested in purchasing basketball team apparel for yourself or family from the team store, the boys’ and girls’ stores are located at the website bsnteamsports.com. The pages will only be open until midnight on Monday, Oct. 14th.When you get to the site, you will need to click on "My Team Shop" and then use the appropriate access code (girls' page code: holstongbb and/or boys' page code: hmsbball19). Please note that unless otherwise indicated, the shirts, pullovers, etc. are men's sizes. Youth and ladies’ sizes are available on several items in the girls' shop. While checking out, you may get a notification that your cart is missing required items. You may disregard this as it is for the players to ensure they buy a pair of team shoes and a shooting shirt/hood tee.
Parents, because we have recently seen an upswing in disruptive behaviors from our students—and one of our schoolwide goals is to reduce these behaviors this year—I spent 30 minutes before Fall Break teaching our 7th- and 8th-graders the dimensions of respect. We discussed placing respect on T.O.P.P.: Time, Opinion, Property, and People. When our students can respect the time devoted to their studies, other peoples’ opinions and personal space, and others’ property; they are more likely to show true empathy toward their teachers and fellow students. As we begin a new nine weeks, please remind your children to recommit to their studies and show the level of respect you expect to see from them at home. We appreciate your partnership with teaching and reinforcing these essential soft skills.
Thank you, and have a wonderful evening; we look forward to seeing our Holston Hurricanes bright and early tomorrow morning!
Katie Lutton, Principal