Click Here to Read Mrs. Lutton's "Hurricane Happenings" Newsletter for 12/1/19
Hurricane Happenings Newsletter, 12/1/19
Good evening, Holston Parents and Families! Here are several announcements to help your planning for the coming weeks:
- Parents, please help your children check their Aspen accounts to monitor their grades. We have seen a dip in students’ grades during this grading period, and we hope to finish strong by Winter Break. For 8th-grade students: These grades determine future conversations about the Summer Bridge program (a remedial program for those failing two or more core classes).
- There is no school for Winter Break on December 23-January 6.
- Basketball this Week: On Tuesday, we will play Vine at Vine and on Thursday, we will play Whittle Springs at home, with both games starting at 4:30. Parents, we encourage all students to cheer on their fellow Hurricanes, and if they decide to stay for the game, we will have supervision available until the start of the game. Student tickets are $3, and adult tickets are $5; concessions will also be available. Students should be picked up promptly by 7:00, and any student who is picked up late cannot attend the next home basketball game.
- Please join us for our Winter Choral Concert on Monday, December 9th from 6:00-7:30, where we’ll feature the 6th-, 7th-, and 8th-grade choirs as well as the Kids in America Show Choir.
- Please join us for our Winter Band Concert on Tuesday, December 10th from 6:00-7:30, where we’ll feature the 6th-, 7th-, and 8th-grade bands as well as the Holston Jazz Band.
- 8th-grade Parents: All 8th grade students received permission slips last week for a Job Shadow field trip to be taken on December 5. Students will be attending either Cemex and Stowers or UT Medical Center and McGhee Tyson Airport. Students need to return their signed permission slips to their science teacher as soon as possible along with $5 to cover the cost of lunch and transportation.
- 8th-grade Parents: Show appreciation for your student by leaving them something special to remember their 8th grade year! Ad prices range from $25-$150. Deadline to create is February 1, 2020. Don’t forget to purchase a yearbook after designing your student’s dedication page! To order:
- Go to www.balfour.com
- Search for Holston Middle School
- Click on Yearbook Products and Ads
- Enter your student's information
- Select the ad size you want to create
- Checkout to begin building your ad
- 8th-grade Parents: This is a reminder to please respond to the survey regarding choices for the 8th-grade trip in May; we will then provide a plan to you before we leave for Winter Break. Thank you! https://forms.gle/KXdx6dsqWqATHG366 8th-Grade Trip PPT 8th-Grade Trip Options
- Jingle Jars are here! We have already received several jars, and if you wish to submit jars full of fun items for purchase at Winterfest, feel free to refer to the flyer and samples for ideas! All Jingle Jars should be submitted by December 13th. Jingle Jars Flyer Jingle Jar Samples
- Yearbooks are on sale for $35! Place your order online only by April 1, 2020. To order, visit www.balfour.com and search for Holston Middle School. There will be a limited number of extras available for purchase when the yearbooks arrive in April. Order your yearbook today!
- Parents, this is a calendar of after-school clubs and their times/dates when they meet. I hope this will help you plan your afternoons! Club Schedules
Our attendance fact this week: Absenteeism and its ill effects start early. One in 10 kindergarten and first grade students are chronically absent. (Source: http://www.nccp.org/publications/pdf/text_837.pdf)
Thank you, and have a wonderful evening; we look forward to seeing our Holston Hurricanes again tomorrow morning!
Katie Lutton, Principal