Student Dress Code
The following expectations for student dress have been established to promote a safe and optimum learning environment. Apparel or appearance, which tends to draw attention to an individual rather than to a learning situation, must be avoided. In matters of opinion, the judgment of the principal / designee shall prevail.
1. Pants must be worn at the waist. No sagging.
2. Shirts, blouses, and dresses must completely cover the abdomen, back, shoulders, and must have sleeves. Shirts or tops must cover the waistband of the pants, shorts or shirts with no midriff visible. Low-cut blouses, shirts, or tops or extremely tight tops, tube tops, or any tops that expose cleavage are prohibited.
3. Head apparel, except for religious or medical purposes, must not be worn inside the school building.
4. Footwear is required and must be safe and appropriate for indoor and outdoor activity. No house shoes or slippers may be worn.
5. Clothing and accessories such as backpacks, patches, jewelry and notebooks must not display : (1) racial or ethnic slurs, symbols, (2) gang affiliations, (3) vulgar, subversive, or sexually suggestive language or images; nor should they promote products which students may not legally buy (i.e, alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs)
6. Skirts, dresses and shorts must be beyond mid thigh in length. (At or below the fingertips) There can be no holes above the knee.
7. Sleepwear, pajamas, and/or blankets cannot be worn at school.
8. Prohibited items include (1) large, long and/or heavy chains, (2) studded or chained accessories, (3) sunglasses except for health purposes, and (4) skin-tight outer materials such as spandex.
The school administration reserves the right to determine whether the student’s attire is within the limits of decency and modesty. The principal may allow exceptions in special circumstances or occasions such as holiday or special performances and may further prescribe dress in certain classes such as physical education, vocational classes and science labs. Any student not attired in accordance with this policy shall be subject to correction of the violation. If a correction cannot be made, the student shall be subject to additional disciplinary measures.