You Don’t Have to Pay for the FAFSA!!!!
Several websites offer help filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) for a fee. These sites are not affiliated with or endorsed by the U.S. Department of Education. We urge you not to pay these sites for assistance that you can get for free elsewhere. The official FAFSA is at https://fafsa.ed.gov/, and you can get free help from
- the financial aid office at your college or the college(s) you’re thinking about attending;
- the FAFSA’s online help at https://fafsa.ed.gov/ and
- the Federal Student Aid Information Center.
If you are asked for your credit card information while filling out the FAFSA online, you are not at the official government site. Remember, the FAFSA site address has .gov in it!
- An FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature.
- Only create an FSA ID using your own personal information and for your own exclusive use. You are not authorized to create an FSA ID on behalf of someone else, including a family member.
- You are not allowed to have an employee or agent of a commercial entity, or other third party, create an FSA ID for you for any purposes including but not limited to: payment reductions, debt consolidation or applying for aid.
- Misrepresentation of your identity to the federal government could result in criminal or civil penalties.