IB MYP Announcements
NEW DUE DATE FOR STUDENTS COMPLETING THE PERSONAL PROJECT: THE NEW DUE DATE IS MARCH 29th. Instructions for paper upload will be given in advisories. Products will be turned in through the library by intercom.ALL RISING 10th GRADERS!Please download the documents below as guides to help you complete your Personal Project. Be sure to read these documents completely to ensure that you are fulfilling the IB MYP criterion.Download this for your reference throughout the Personal Project experience. You will be referring to this often both in advisory Personal Project work time as well as outside of school hours.Download this for your reference during the Summer prior to 10th grade. This document will walk you through all steps that you can complete prior to your 10th grade year.FOLLOW @RebelIBProjects for news and updates regarding the Personal Project
IB MYP FACULTY
Shannon Siebe, KCS IB Facilitator & MYP Coordinatorshannon.firstname.lastname@example.orgTwitter: @IBMrsSiebeMelissa Walsh, FRAC Principal (9th grade)email@example.comTwitter: @TheMrsWalsh7Jonathan East, WISE Principal (10th grade)firstname.lastname@example.orgKristin Nanney, Personal Project Coordinatorkristin.email@example.comPaula Franklin, Personal Project Coordinatorpaula.firstname.lastname@example.orgTwitter: @WHSMrsFranklin
KCS IB POLICIES
WHAT IS THE IB MIDDLE YEARS PROGRAMME?
West High School is very excited to announced that we are opening as an authorized International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) World School in August 2017! The Middle Years Programme is a very welcome addition to our established IB Diploma Programme for the 11th and 12th grades. The Middle Years Programme is a programme dedicated to the needs of students in grades 6-10. West High School is offering the Middle Years Programme in partnership with Bearden Middle School, which offers the MYP for all students, grades 6-8. Likewise, at West High School ALL 9th and 10th graders will participate in the IB MYP.
The MYP focuses on supporting student academic and personal growth through the following components:
- 8 subject areas that focus on TN State and KCS local curriculum through a challenging IB MYP framework, which encourages students to make connections between their studies and the real world.
- Areas of Interaction to tie learning to both the real world and other subject areas. These include: Health and Social Education, Community and Service, Environments, Approaches to Learning, and Human Ingenuity.
- Approaches to Learning help students to develop skills that have relevance across the curriculum that help them to "learn how to learn". They help to provide our students with a solid foundation for learning independently and with others.
- Learner Profile attributes are characteristics that all West High faculty encourage our students to embody in all aspects of their lives. IB learners are: Thinkers, Communicators, Risk Takers, Knowledgeable, Inquirers, Balanced, Reflective, Principled, Open-Minded, and Caring.
- Personal Project is the culminating MYP experience that West High School 10th graders develop and create throughout the sophomore year. This is a mandatory experience for all 10th graders, and gives each student the chance to create a truly personal and creative project of their choosing. Through this endeavor, each student will be able to demonstrate his/her ability to take initiative, think creatively, and communicate effectively—a few of the many skills our students needs to be college and career-ready.
IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to improve the teaching and learning of a diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high quality programmes of international education that share a powerful vision