Welcome to the Powell High School College & Career Ready Office, located in the Library (third office on the right). We will strive to do our best in assisting students with financial aid, scholarship and college information as it becomes available. Bulletins will highlight some of the most current scholarship offers and deadlines for important dates. These will be handed out during your student's advisory period, or they may pick up a copy in the guidance office at their convenience. We offer college literature, college fairs, informational seminars and advisory sessions to both students and parents.Announcements*Please don't forget to signup for your fall senior meeting. If you are an early grad, you will need to do this ASAP. This is a requirement to complete your Senior Exit Form before you can graduate. Signups will end on Thursday, August 30th. Signups are on Mrs. Taylor's door in the Library.* Please sign up for the senior class remind. This is critical to receive important information. Parents also need to sign up. Text code @c9f28f to 810-10
Welcome Seniors "Class of 2019"
- Seniors make sure you check your most current Senior News for the latest updates for scholarships or check your Remind messages. There is always important information and scholarship updates. All of this information is on the website, but if your student would like to view the Senior News electronically, please have them scan QR code throughout Powell High School or click the Senior News Link here Senior News If your student wishes to have a paper copy, they may pick one up in Mrs. Taylor's office.
- If you are a current senior (or any student) for the 2018-2019 school year then you can go ahead and sign up for your remind 101. This phone, or email, link will provide useful information through out the summer as well as the upcoming school year. To receive messages via text, text @c9f28f to 81010. You can opt out at anytime by replying "unsubscribe" @c9f28f. If you would like to receive messages via email, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To unsubscribe, reply with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
- All seniors will apply for the TN Promise in school during College App Week. We will call by alphabetical order to complete the TN Promise. If your student doesn't attend when called, please have them complete this by the deadline of Nov. 1, 2018. Attached are directions on how to complete the TN Promise application How to apply for TN Promise
- FAFSA Night on Thursday, October 18th at 5:30 pm in the Library. Sarah Davis from Pellissipi State Community College will be here to help any family needing assistance completing the FAFSA. We will serve you pizza for dinner. Attached is what you need to bring with you FAFSA Checklist FASFA deadline for anyone using TN Promise is Feburary 1st, 2019.
- TN FAFSA FRENZY will be Thursday, October 29th from 9am-11am in the Library. TnAchieves will be on site to help any student/parent needing help to still complete your FAFSA. This is open to all students and families. FAFSA Checklist FASFA No appoitment is necessary. Please contact Mrs. Taylor with any questions at email@example.com
ALL STUDENTS please register for http://www.raiseme it is a new website where you can register and add different activities that help you earn money for college.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to email Mrs. Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 865-938-2171 ext. 74615.
Rising Seniors "Class of 2019"
- Juniors- Please make sure you are registered to take the ACT. We will be giving a free ACT test during school on March 12th, 2018. If you need ACT study guides or more ACT future test dates, please see Mrs. Taylor.
- Make sure you are checking out colleges you may be interested in and visiting these schools. It will be here before you know it!
- If you need a letter of recommendation we have cover sheets available in Mrs. Taylor's office. Some teachers, or administration, require these before writing a letter. Please allow up to two weeks for completion and mailing once you have submitted the request. Also, if you are needing an official copy of your transcript for college applications or scholarships, please fill out the transcript request form in Guidance with Mrs. Speegle or Mrs. Taylor's office and allow 24 hours.
- Remember if you are planning on playing sports at the varsity level in college you must register with the NCAA or NAIA, depending on which college you attend. A FINAL transcript has to be sent to them upon graduation to make any eligibility, or scholarship awarded, complete. You may register at http://www.eligibilitycenter.org for NCAA and http://www.playnaia.org for NAIA.
Junior Night will be held in May TBD, 2019 at 6:00pm in the Auditorium. You will receive information pertaining to your upcoming senior year and receive your summer senior packet. Attached is a copy of last years senior packet. Senior Summer Packet
TranscriptsThere is a $5.00 charge for transcripts, cash or check made out to Powell High School. Students that graduated this year (2018) will not be charged for transcripts until August. Student must be present to request transcripts and if the student is 18 or older they must show a photo ID. Relatives are not allowed to pick up transcripts for students. Please see the Guidance Office to fill out transcript request form.Scholarships/College Camps/Summer Programs/Open Houses/Important Dates
Current Scholarships click here Senior News
Class of 2019 Important Dates
September 17-21 College App Week
September 17 – College Kick-Off Cookout (3rd block)
September 18 – TN Promise Sign ups (REACH) English teachers available to help w/ college essays (REACH + 3:30-5:00)
Parent-Teacher Conferences – 4:30-6:30
September 19 – UT Knoxville Round-Table 9:30-10:30 English teachers available to help w/ college essays (REACH)
September 20 – TN Promise Sign ups (during REACH) English teachers available to help w/ college essays (REACH + 3:30-5:00)
September 21 – College App Day
TN Promise Sign Ups (during REACH)
September 18, 2018- Senior Parent Night 6:30 in the Auditorium
September 21, 2018- KCS College & Career Fair field trip permission slips due
September 25, 2018- KCS College & Career Fair field trip
September 29, 2018- Free ACT Boot Camp in the Library (9:00-1:00)
October 1, 2018- FAFSA Opens Up
October 2, 2018- Senior ACT re-take (in school)
October 8-12, 2018- FALL BREAK
October (TBA), 2018- Jostens on campus to take orders **ALL SENIORS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PURCHASING REQUIRED GRADUATE ITEMS TO BE ABLE TO WALK AT GRADUATION**
October 18, 2018- FAFSA Night – 6:00 PM in Library
October 26, 2018- Community Career Fair – 8:00-4:00 in the Complex/TN Promise – 10:00 in the Auditorium
October 27, 2018- National ACT test
October 29, 2018- FAFSA Frenzy (9:00 in the Library for parents & students to receive help completing the FAFSA)
November 1, 2018- TN Promise Application Deadline
November 21-23, 2018- THANKSGIVING BREAK
December 1, 2018- Free ACT Boot Camp – 9:00-10:00 in the Library
December 3, 2018- Order Graduation Supplies at listed prices
December 8, 2018- National ACT Test
December 13, 2018- Early Grad Senior Exit Forms due
December 19-20, 2018- KCS Final Exams
December 21, 2018- LAST DAY for Early Grads to have ALL coursework complete to meet graduation requirements
January 7, 2019- Order Graduation Supplies cost increase and limited offerings
January 21, 2019- MLK Day—No School
January 26, 2019- Free ACT Boot Camp – 9:00-1:00 in the Library
February 1, 2019- FAFSA Deadline for TN Promise Eligibility
February 9, 2019- National ACT Test
February 22, 2019- ASVAB (Career Exploration Test)
March 2, 2019- Free ACT Boot Camp – 9:00-1:00 in the Library
March 16-22, 2019- SPRING BREAK
March 28, 2019- Senior Supply Breakfast – 9:00 am-12:00 pm in the Cafeteria
April 1, 2019- Mandatory TN Promise Meeting – 5:30 in the Gym
April (TBA), 2019- Top 10/Who’s Who Luncheon – 12:00-2:00 in the Complex
April 25, 2019- Senior Exit forms due/Senior Picture for Scholarship Board due
April (TBA), 2019- Post-Secondary Luncheon (12:00-2:00)
April 27, 2019- Junior/Senior Prom at the Downton Hilton from 6:00-10:00
May 1, 2019- National College Signing Day in the Auditorium (time TBA)
May 9, 2019-1st & 2nd Block Senior Exams
May 10, 2019- 3rd & 4th Block Senior Exams/Senior Awards Day (time TBA)
May (TBA), 2019- Baccalaureate Service – 7:00 pm at Black Oak Heights Baptist Church
May 16, 2019- Mandatory Graduation Practice – 12:00 pm at Thompson-Boling Arena/ **KCS transportation provided. See Coach Porter to sign up**
May 18, 2019- Graduation – 9:00 am at Thompson-Boling Arena/ **Seniors need to arrive by 8:00 am**
BOOT CAMP DATES TEST DATES: (LOCATED IN THE PHS LIBRARY)
Saturday, Sept 29th
Saturday, Dec 1st
Saturday, Jan 26th
Saturday, March 2nd
Friday,May 31st (SUMMER)
ACT TEST DATES:
OCT 2nd (Retake for seniors school wide)
OCT 27 (NATIONAL)
DEC 8th (NATIONAL)
FEB 9th (NATIONAL)
MAR 12th (JR SCHOOL-WIDE)
JUN 8th and JULY 13th (NATIONAL)
Powell High School Guidance Department2136 W. Emory RdPowell, TN 37849(865) 938-2171 Main OfficeSenior Guidance Counselor- Mrs. Emily Lanius ext.74613Junior Guidance Counselor- Ms. Elizabeth Patt ext.74611Sophomore Guidance Counselor- Mrs.Marlo Bales ext.74614Freshman Guidance Counselor- Mrs. Candi Buffington ext.74612College and Career Ready Counselor- Mrs. Cassidy Taylor ext.74615Guidance Secretary- Mrs. Karen Speegle ext.74610ACT Head Coach- Mr. Micaiah Smoker ext.74635Graduation Facilitator- Jim Porter ext.74656