Welcome to the Powell High School College & Career Ready Office, located in the Library (third office on the right). We will strive to do our best in assisting students with financial aid, scholarship and college information as it becomes available. The Senior News link HERE will highlight some of the most current scholarship offers and deadlines for important dates. This link never changes and can be acessed from any device. We offer college literature, college fairs, informational seminars and advisory sessions to both students and parents.
Powell High School Counseling Department2136 W. Emory RdPowell, TN 37849(865) 938-2171 Main OfficeSenior School Counselor- Mrs. Emily Lanius ext.74613A-G, grade 9-11, School Counselor- Ms. Elizabeth Patt ext.74611H-N, grade 9-11, School Counselor- Mrs.Marlo Bales ext.74614O-Z, grade 9-11,School Counselor- Mrs. Candi Buffington ext.74612Senior College and Career Ready Counselor- Mrs. Cassidy Taylor ext.74615Counseling Secretary- Mrs. Karen Speegle ext.74610ACT Head Coach- Mr. Micaiah Smoker ext.74635Graduation Facilitator- Jim Porter ext.74656Announcements*Senior News (Senior News letter)link for all scholarships and senior info. This is updated daily please click on link Senior News
*Knox County College and Career Fair field trip is Tuesday, September 24th. Bus will leave at 9:30am and return at 11:40am. Please pick up permission slip in Mrs. Taylor's office. Permission slips are due Monday, September 9th.
*Follow us on Twitter @PowellHS_CCC
*Fall Senior meetings will start on Tuesday, August 13. If you haven't signed up for a meeting with me please do so with the link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y8xIIKg7SzTD4N-79BaPGizHHsAGqxrCKSZErygg48c/edit?usp=sharing
*Please sign up for the senior class remind. This is critical to receive important information. Parents also need to sign up. Text code @98ageg to 810-10
*TN Promise application is open and we will complete this during school, noted below on the calendar.
* Mandatory TN Promise in school meeting is Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 5:30pm in the gym. This is mandatory and if you don’t come you will not be eligible to receive your TN Promise (2 years free community college in the state of TN) funds. If you are an athlete who has a game during the mandatory meeting. You must submit an excuse to TnAcheives through their website. Please refer to your green handbook. www.tnachieves.org
*Scholarship page - Most of the scholarships are not ready yet...Please pay close attention to dates. These arrive late fall and early spring!
*All 18 year old men are required by federal law to register with the U.S. Selective Service. Register online at SSS.gov.
*Senior Slice due September 1, 2019- $25 due from every senior. This is due to your or Advisory teacher. This covers all the seniors activities listed above like Senior Breakfast, Senior picnic, senior luncheon, etc…
*Local and state scholarships usually open up December-May. These will be listed on the Senior News!
*Current Scholarships click here Senior News Scholarships will be posted as they arrive around Dec-Feb, 2019/2020. I will attached the link under the scholarship page on the Senior News or let you know how to obtain the scholarship via Remind or email. Please check the scholarship page first!
Welcome Seniors "Class of 2020"
- Seniors make sure you check your most current Senior News for the latest updates for scholarships or check your Remind messages. There is always important information and scholarship updates. All of this information is on the website, but if your student would like to view the Senior News electronically, please have them scan QR code throughout Powell High School or click the Senior News Link here Senior News If your student wishes to have a paper copy, they may pick one up in Mrs. Taylor's office.
- If you are a current senior (or any student) for the 2019-2020 school year then you can go ahead and sign up for your remind 101. This phone, or email, link will provide useful information through out the summer as well as the upcoming school year. To receive messages via text, text @98ageg to 81010. You can opt out at anytime by replying "unsubscribe" @c9f28f. To unsubscribe, reply with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
- All seniors will apply for the TN Promise in school during College App Week. We will call by alphabetical order to complete the TN Promise. If your student doesn't attend when called, please have them complete this by the deadline of Nov. 1, 2019. Attached are directions on how to complete the TN Promise application How to apply for TN Promise
- FAFSA Night on Thursday, October 25th at 5:00-7:00pm in the Library. Sarah Davis from Pellissipi State Community College will be here to help any family needing assistance completing the FAFSA. We will serve you pizza for dinner. Attached is what you need to bring with you FAFSA Checklist FASFA deadline for anyone using TN Promise is Feburary 1st, 2020.
- TN FAFSA FRENZY is TBA TnAchieves will be on site to help any student/parent needing help to still complete your FAFSA. This is open to all students and families. FAFSA Checklist FASFA No appoitment is necessary. Please contact Mrs. Taylor with any questions at email@example.com
ALL STUDENTS please register for http://www.raiseme it is a new website where you can register and add different activities that help you earn money for college.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to email Mrs. Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 865-938-2171 ext. 74615.
Rising Seniors "Class of 2021"
- Juniors- Please make sure you are registered to take the ACT. We will be giving a free ACT test during school on March 31st, 2020. If you need ACT study guides or more ACT future test dates, please see Mrs. Taylor.
- Make sure you are checking out colleges you may be interested in and visiting these schools. It will be here before you know it!
- If you need a letter of recommendation we have cover sheets available in Mrs. Taylor's office. Some teachers, or administration, require these before writing a letter. Please allow up to two weeks for completion and mailing once you have submitted the request. Also, if you are needing an official copy of your transcript for college applications or scholarships, please fill out the transcript request form in Guidance with Mrs. Speegle or Mrs. Taylor's office and allow 24 hours.
- Remember if you are planning on playing sports at the varsity level in college you must register with the NCAA or NAIA, depending on which college you attend. A FINAL transcript has to be sent to them upon graduation to make any eligibility, or scholarship awarded, complete. You may register at http://www.eligibilitycenter.org for NCAA and http://www.playnaia.org for NAIA.
Junior Night will be held in May 11, 2020 at 6:00pm in the Auditorium. You will receive information pertaining to your upcoming senior year and receive your summer senior packet. Attached is a copy of last years senior packet. Senior Summer Packet
TranscriptsThere is a $5.00 charge for transcripts, cash or check made out to Powell High School. Students that graduated this year (2020) will not be charged for transcripts until August. Student must be present to request transcripts and if the student is 18 or older they must show a photo ID. Relatives are not allowed to pick up transcripts for students. Please see the Guidance Office to fill out transcript request form.
Class of 2020 Important Dates
August 21- Jostens meeting- 2nd block
August 28- Jostens at lunch to take graduation orders
September 1- Senior Slice due $25 to Advisory teacher
September9- Knox Co.College and Career Fair permission slips due to Mrs. Taylor
September 9- Senior pic makeups- TBA
September 16-20- College App Week- Activities listed below
September 16-TN Promise sign ups- Library(REACH, A-F)
September 16-College Application Night-Library 5-7pm
September 17- College Application Day- Library 9-10am
September 17- TN Promise sign ups- Library (REACH, G-L)
September 17- Senior Parent Night- Auditorium 6:30pm
September 18- TN Promise sign ups- Library (REACH, M-Z)
September 19- College Round Tables- Library (assigned time)
September 20- College Application Week finale- 3rd block pizza
September 24- Knox County College Fair field trip ( See Mrs. Taylor to sign up)
September 26- FSA ID student/parent night- Library, 5-7pm (setting up FSA to help you complete the FAFSA in October)
October 1- FAFSA Opens
October 1- ACT senior re-take
October 7-11- Fall Break
October 15- FAFSA Night, Library 5-7pm ( State Dept along with counselors to help complete the FAFSA)
October 19- FALL Ball- 6-10pm at PHS
October 23- TN Promise Meeting- 10am Auditorium (students only)
October 31- Trick or Treat, 8-8:40am at PHS
November 1 - TN Promise application deadline
November 21- Senior Citizenship Assembly
November 22- ASVAB testing for seniors who don't have ACT composite of 21
November 27-29- Thanksgiving Break
December 1- TN Promise volunteer hours can begin (8 hours)
December 6- Last chance to order graduation supplies at regular price.
January 7- Graduation supply price increase
February 1- FAFSA Deadline
March 5 -TBA field trip to UTC
March 16-20 Spring Break
March 24- The Emory’s- Recognizing PHS top scholars
March 25- Mandatory TN Promise meeting- 5:30pm in Gym ( students MUST attend)
April 9th- Senior Supply breakfast/distribution and senior Thank Yous
May 1- College Signing Day/Post-Secondary Luncheon 10am-2pm
May 4- Senior Awards- 10am on football field/Senior Picnic 12-2pm
May 6- Senior Exams ¾ period
May 6- Senior Exams ½ period
May 8- PROM
May 14- Mandatory graduation practice (12pm @ Thompson Boling Arena)
**See Coach Porter to sign-up to ride a bus to practice**
May 16- Senior Graduation- 9am at Thompson Boling
**seniors must arrive by 8am**
Mandatory Gentleman will wear dress pants, dress shirt and tie, and dress shoes with graduation gown, cap, stole, etc. No cowboy or work boots, tennis shoes, or flip flops for footwear. No jeans.
**Boys needing assistance with the mandatory dress requirements need to see Mr. Greg Bruce (room 308) ASAP.
Mandatory Ladies will wear dresses or dress slacks/blouse with graduation gown,cap, stole, etc. No cowboy or work boots, tennis shoes, or flip flops or footwear. No jeans.
**Girls needing assistance with the mandatory dress requirements need to see Mrs. Beth Myer ( room 116) ASAP.
Contact Persons at Powell High School 865-938-2171
Mrs. White or Mrs. Raven Raby- Everything Prom email@example.com or extension 74627 firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 74676
Mrs. Lanius- Verification of Graduation status, transcripts, … email@example.com or extension 74613
Mrs. Taylor- Senior exit forms, senior exit meetings (early grads and regular grads), college applications, scholarships, transcripts for scholarships, FAFSA, TN Promise, anything post-secondary. firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 74615
Mr. Porter- Graduation supplies, supplies delivery, Graduation practice, Graduation email@example.com or extension 74656
Mr. Bruce- Mandatory attire for Graduation for Boys firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 74696
Mrs. Meyer- Mandatory attire for Graduation for Girls email@example.com or extension 74681
Mrs. Speegle- Senior Debt list/Diploma HOLDs firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 74610
JOSTENS ordering contact information:
* 1-800-JOSTENS or 1-800-567-8367
Please contact Mrs. Taylor with any questions! Text me on Remind or email me at Cassidy.email@example.com