Excellence for Every Child
Gibbs High School, named after O. S. Gibbs, was started in 1913 in a two-story brick building at its present location on Tazewell Pike. The school serves Corryton, Ritta, a portion of Halls, and a portion of the East Knoxville area surrounding the north side of Knoxville Center Mall. The 1913 building burned in 1937, and the new fireproof building burned in 1950. The building that replaced it was remodeled in 1976, adding a band room and a new social studies area. In 1983 the building was renovated extensively to include a new gymnasium, new offices, and a new middle school area. The Gibbs Middle School was moved to the old Holston High School in 1991—leaving the entire present building for the high school programs. The old elementary school is our new Career and Technical Education building.