MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL DRESS CODEThe following expectations for student dress have been established to promote a safe and optimum learning
environment. Apparel or appearance which tends to draw attention to an individual rather than to a learning situation must be
avoided. In matters of opinion, the judgement of the principal/designee shall prevail.
The following standards will be observed in all Knox County Middle and High Schools:
1. Pants must be worn at the waist. No sagging allowed.
2. Shirts, blouses, and dresses must completely cover the abdomen, back, shoulders and
must have sleeves. Shirts or tops must cover the waistband of pants, shorts, or skirts with no
3. Head apparel, except for religious or medical purposes, must not be worn inside the school
4. Footwear is required and must be safe and appropriate for indoor and outdoor activity. Flip-
flops and shower-type shoes are examples of inappropriate footwear for school.
5. Clothing and accessories such as backpacks, patches, jewelry, and notebooks must not
display (1) racial or ethnic slurs/symbols, (2) gang affiliations, (3) vulgar, subversive, or
sexually suggestive language or images; nor, should they promote products which students
may not legally buy; such as alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs.
6. Skirts, dresses, and shorts must be beyond fingertip length.
7. Prohibited items include (1) large, long and/or heavy chains, (2) studded or chained acces-
sories, (3) sunglasses, except for health purposes, (4) sleepwear, and (5) skin-tight outer
materials such as spandex.
8. Coats and jackets exceeding fingertip length are not to be worn in the building.
The school administration reserves the right to determine whether the student's attire is within the limits of
decency and modesty.