Student Affairs / Attendance
Parents are to call the day their student is absent. Absentee or medical notes need to be turned in at the Attendance Office.
- Phone: 865-671-7126
- Fax: 865-671-7127
Knox County policy states that a student may not miss more than ten(10) days per school year. A note must be submitted to Student Affairs Office no later than five (5) days after student returns to school. Absences are considered unexcused until the following is provided to Student Affairs Office:
1. Note or phone call from parent/guardian stating illness. (Limit 10)
2. Medical documentation
3. Note from Court
4. Letter stating death in family
5. Verifiable family emergency
Examples of unexcused absences are
(a) no contact by parent/guardian
(b) family vacations taken during the school year
(c) Senior Skip Day
Juvenile Judge Tim Erwin issued a court order that states as follows:
1. Five (5) unexcused absences - Parent will receive a letter from the Superintendent's Office
2. Ten (10) unexcused absences - Parent name and student name will be forwarded to the Knox County Juvenile Court. At that time, you may receive a letter from the District Attorney's Office inviting parent and student to a meeting at West High School.
First Floor Office Parents must sign their student out in the First Floor Office. Late or returning arrivals are to sign the tardy log in the First Floor Office.
Early Dismissals Procedures:
Students must have an Early Dismissal Note turned in to the First Floor Office No later than 8:30 a.m. After 8:30, student must see a Principal for approval.
All parent notes must include the following:
After Early Dismissals have been verified, the student needs to check in the First Floor Office to pick up their Early Dismissal Slip. No student is allowed to leave campus without a fully processed early dismissal.
- Name (first and last)
- Student ID #
- Date and time of departure
- Contact Phone Number for verification
- Parent Signature