Bearden High School
Welcome to the BHS School Counseling website. Here, you can find your student's counselor, read about upcoming academic events, investigate next steps, connect with scholarship and financial aid resources, and much more.
Phone: (865) 539 - 7800 Counseling Fax: (865) 470 -2119Office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00am - 3:45pm during the school year. During the summer, we are open from 9am-12pm on Wednesdays.
Please visit the drop down sections under the School Counseling Channel for more information.
School Counseling Announcements
Schedule Change Requests for Spring 2018
The School Counseling Office would like to highlight some important information for the Spring 2018 schedule change window is now open.
- 94% of the students who registered for classes last Spring received their Primary (1st) Requests that was 2074 students at that time with 18,512 requests. .
- Bearden High School is at record enrollment again this year. Many of our classes are at capacity for the Spring 2018.
- From July 10, 2017 to Nov. 6, 2017, School Counselors have made 15,366 adjustments to students’ schedules to accommodate needs/requests.
- The Master Schedule is built upon registration student requests. Based on the 94%, BHS had a successful master schedule. It is important to reinforce the value of remaining in the selected elective courses.
Note from BHS Administration:
Due to limited availability in seats for Spring Classes, the Bearden High School administration has made specific decisions for Spring 2018 class change requests. In addition, there are no more changes to yearlong classes.
The following classes are closed Wildlife, Americans at War, Film Studies, PE Walking, Team Sports, PE Yoga, CP Econ/Personal Finance, Weightlifting, Ballet, Aerobics, Art I, Maintenance Light Repair, Principles of Engineering, Health Science Education, and Intro to Human Studies. If you request these classes, it cannot be honored.
The November 7-22, 2017 window will be the only time for current students to adjust their schedules for the Spring 2018. No schedule changes except for failures will be considered in January 2018.
Schedule Change Process:
The Online Schedule Request Form for Spring will be available from Nov 7-22, 2017. Additional phone calls, emails and notes are not required and occasionally confuse the process.
Deadline to submit schedule changes is Wednesday, November 22, 2017. Schedule change requests past this date or in the January will not be addressed.
All schedules are subject to change until January 9, 2018 based on balancing classes and faculty changes.
If the request is approved, it will be reflected in ASPEN prior to January 9, 2018.
Please note the Schedule Change Policy:
Bearden High School staff will permit schedule changes only if one of the following situations apply:
- You have a Class Missing from your Schedule.
- A scheduling error has occurred (for example, you need Spanish II, but were assigned to French III instead).
- A 12th grade student needs a course change in order to meet graduation requirements.
- A student passed a course in which he/she assumed would fail.
- A student failed a course and needs to repeat it to meet graduation requirements.
- A scheduled course was completed in summer school or credit recovery and therefore is no longer needed.
Because a lot of thought and planning has gone into creating your schedule, your schedule reflects your requests balanced with needs toward graduation.
Please know that requesting one change may possibly result in another change to your schedule such as time of day a course is scheduled, teacher, etc, so make sure you put careful thought into your requested change.
Links to Schedule Change Forms:
Below are ACT Prep resources offered through BHS....
Bertelkamp - Mrs. Boris will be offering ACT-specific tutoring through Bertelkamp. It will be offered on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings and afternoons (7-8 AM & 3:45-4:30 PM), in Room 421. This will begin on August 29, 2017.
The Learning Express Library - Students are able to sign in to their account or create an account for ACT Prep, which is offered for free by BHS. Click here for Bearden's access to the Learning Express Library.
Coach Rice's Tips & Strategies - A selected amount of Seniors were gathered to discuss the ACT with Coach Rice (ACT Prep teacher), School Counselors and Administrators. These students were given a handout from Coach Rice, with his top strategies and tips. Those are available to you here: Rice's Tips & Strategies
March2Success - March2Success provides an online study program to help students prepare for standardized tests, improve school work and review materials. We also provide tools for educators and parents to track and encourage their students. Click here to learn more about how you can use March2Success. If you would like to use the test prep materials, click the Register button on the top right of the March2Success website.
NJROTC Test Prep - Using this site, students can prepare for the SAT and ACT by taking practice exams, working through tutorials, and focusing on areas needing improvement. This test preparation is free for eligible participants. Please see one of the BHS NJROTC instructors for a username and password. Contact Chief Randy Dickson or Major Dave Bower.