How to make a referral?
Students can meet with me individually or in small groups if they have been referred to me. How do they get referred? Many times, students refer themselves to me. At the beginning of the year, all students learn the three ways they can get some time with Mrs. Browder:
- Write me a note and leave it in my mailbox. My mailbox is located outside the cafeteria door.
- Tell their teacher that they would like to talk with me. Teachers are great at relaying these requests.
- Tell their parent that they would like to talk with me. Parents can call or email me at anytime throughout the year. You can email me at email@example.com or call the office to schedule a meeting. Keep in mind that I am assigned to Bonny Kate two days per week- Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
When should I call the School Counselor and under what circumstances should I expect a call from the counselor?
- When something is happening in your family that may affect your child’s school performance.
- If you need support, information, or counseling related resources.
- If you need the Bonny Kate staff to be watchful of your child for any particular reason and/or you need feedback about your child while he/she is at school.
- Your should expect a phone call from the counselor if concerns about your child are repeatedly brought to the counselor’s attention or if the counselor has contact with your child regarding a concern that requires help or involvement.
What is confidentiality and what does it mean?
Confidentiality means that information exchanged in a counseling/group session is kept private/confidential unless released by parent or student permission. Professional School Counselors are required to follow ethical and legal guidelines in maintaining confidentiality. For the safety and well being of children, limits to confidentiality include the occasional need to consult with a child’s teacher or the school administrator; or the need to report to proper authorities if a student discloses that he or she is being harmed, has harmed, or is planning to do harm to him/herself or someone else.