TALONS is an acronym for Teaching And Leading Our New Students. Members are mentors who help incoming freshmen and other new students with registration and Valleypalooza. They also give school tours and are available to answer questions newcomers might have. Membership is by application only.
Your commitment to TALONS will require both time and effort. It is vital that you understand the role and expectations of a mentor.
A TALONS Mentor must:
- Have and maintain a GPA of 2.5.
- Have and maintain a clean discipline record.
- Contact mentees a minimum of once a month by phone, email, or in person.
- Be a positive influence and role model for the freshmen and new students providing them with positive, useful, and accurate information.
- Students will be looking to their mentors as examples; your behaviors, attitudes, and social media accounts are to be above reproach.
- Pay a $25 membership fee.
- A TALONS mentor MUST also participate in mandatory events listed below.
- Mentor Training: Mandatory meeting to train mentors
- Parent Night: 8th graders and their parents come for an informational evening at HVA.
- 8th Grade Visitation Day: When the 8th graders come and tour HVA during a school day.
- Valleypalooza: End of July- Mentors must attend the freshmen portion of the night.
- Freshmen Orientation: When the freshmen come and go through their schedules the Thursday before school starts
3:30-4:15Meetings begin in JanuaryAuditorium